OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Just a couple of piddly queries for you experienced or former BigRedPig owners.

1- Is my fork oil REALLY going to turn into "road tar" or is my leg being pulled?
2- I remember when the 650R first came out in 2000 that their were rumors of carb. choke plates snapping off. :scream: And there was a company offering a reinforced aftermarket plate for sale. Was this recified by '02 (ie: is the stocker safe?) or is my plate possibly made of silly putty? (anyone ever have one snap???)
3- Is it safe to use a conventional (masterlink) chain or do i have to invest in a staking tool? I imagin that mebbe a superduty RK or a sidewinder should be able to handle that much tourque........right? :eek:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
1 - Yup, the fork oil turns to snot. Mine was awful when I installed stiffer springs.

2 - Haven't heard anything about the choke plates coming off. I know it was a problem on the 600, but I didn't know of any 650's with that problem. I rode mine for a year without trouble.

3 - I honestly can't say. Whether you would actually break a conventional master link, or if its just Honda's way of covering their ass and being over-cautious, who knows. I'd say you'd have to be riding damn hard to break a master link with it.

So how are ya liking that thing so far?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
BigBore, it's been great!
I'm finally beginning to get used to the power.
And for such a heavy bike (it dont feel heavy at all though) it stops mighty dang quick!
Much better ride than "ol'Flash-2" for out west.
I think it'd be diferent back in the woods though.
I know this sounds crazy, but the 650 just doesnt seem to have the old 500's low end grunt.
Or perhaps i should rephrase that.
It doesnt have that "old fashioned" low end grunt.
Yea it could yank a D9 Cat out of a hole, but the 500 seems to have that "just- let -out- the -clutch -and -idle -over -that- giant- boulder -in -front -of -you" trials bike kinda torque.
It's kinda hard to put into words.
Mebbe cuz of the XL's smaller carb.
Still, it sure is fun getting used to the "newfangled" torque though! :p :) :yeehaw:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
That might have a lot to do with the gearing. They come from the factory geared to just about touch 100mph on top. I noticed mine was quite a bit more hyperactive in 1st than my 600 was with the same 14/48 gearing. I know of a lot of guys that went to a 52 tooth rear sprocket for woods.

You're right about the power though. It was quite a bit different than the 600. I thought it would be just like the 600, with more power everywhere, but the delivery was totally different--nasty bark right off the bottom, wicked mid-range, and it really revved out nice for a 650.

Top Bottom