Quick Lightbulb Question

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Hi, I need to replace my lightbulb to my 2003 KDX200. Its I believe a 30 watt bulb. Does anybody know what styles or anyhting to look for, if I was to buy it at a hardware store?

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
If it's the tail light I can tell you exactly what to get.The vibrations and bumps kill the filaments on the stock bulbs.I bought the JamStrait Super-Bright LED automotive bulbs part #1156R at Autozone.Works like a charm and they have a ten year warranty. www.jamstrait.com Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 1156basesideview1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
sorry i didnt mentionk it, its my headlight bulb. thasnx fo rth ehelp though

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
just go to your local kawasaki shop, you won't be able to find the headlight bulb at a hardware store, don't get the stock bulb though it's like $20, i bought some bulbs that were 25w but much cheaper like 7 or 8 bucks for 2

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Try your Honda dealer. Take in your blown bulb and ask him for something to match. It is the same bulb as a Warrior or Raptor or some such. I got one for $12.50.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Research the old files--seems like a John Deer tractor bulb works, lasts and is much cheaper than Kaw stuff.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I got a bulb, pn# 102-84314-00-00 from the Yamaha dealer for around 4 bucks and it worked fine. The Kaw bulb is over $20 as I recall.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
speedy!!! thanx fo rthat, I know....I went in to my dealer (brockton cycle center) and the dude looked it up. $24!!!!!!! i wa slike...umm, bye! thanx for that # tho, Ill get that. Any more advice is still wanted!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fuzzy: What's the current draw of that piece?

re:vibration

The oem mounts for the taillight give up pretty quick. You can add a washer between the grommets to 'tighten' it up some. I haven't had a blub blow since I did that. Had them go out fairly regularly prior.

re: headlight
Any bike shop (maybe not dealer) should be able to get you a number of wattages that will fit the oem shell. I believe oem is 30 watts? Commonly, the 25watters can be had for a lot less $.

Here's something you'd know if the search function still worked (and you used it). The headlight bulb is a double filament unit. You can either: 1. 'Retool' the bulb so it will fit in the oem socket 180º out, or 2. Tag (solder) a piece of wire between the two filament nubbins on the bottom of the bulb.

Either way, you will then be able to use the second (and likely still intact..check it with a meter first if you can't tell) filament instead of throwing a 'perfectly good bulb' away.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What are you measuring?

To measure current, the meter has to be in series with the load. If it's hooked up to measure current and guessing at the range your meter is showing then you're looking at 30ma (milliamps).

Do NOT attempt a current measurement by connecting to the circuit in parallel (as you do when measuring voltage). You'll blow up sumthin!!!

I don't know what the stock setup draws...but it's more'n 30mil I'm quite sure.

The packaging of the led unit should say what it draws.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
These specs were taken from jamstrait.com.The package just says 12 volts:) SPECIFICATIONS 1156, 1157-SR, and 3157-SR

15 Water-clear Super Bright Red LEDs.
Brightness control circuitry for maximum brightness and reliability over 11-14 Vdc operating range.

Integrated dual element control circuitry operates all LEDs for both tail and brake for maximum brake brightness in 1157-SR bulbs.

Total current is 90mA at 13.8 Vdc -Verses- 2.6A for incandescent.

2X oversize metal oxide resistors.

Response is near instantaneous -Verses- 200 milliseconds for incandescent.

Installs in existing OEM socket like the existing incandescent bulb it replaces.

No lamp modifications are required in most applications.

Also available in green and blue for off-road use only.

30 degree beam.

Bulbs require an inexpensive variable load flasher for turn signal use.

*Limited to the replacement of blown bulb from original owner. Non-transferable. Owner pays shipping and handling.**Calculated/Measured

© 2001 Jam Strait, Inc.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Total current is 90mA at 13.8 Vdc -Verses- 2.6A for incandescent.'

There 'ya go. The kdx system is ac, not dc, so that's why the current draw you measured is so much less than 'spec'. AC isn't 'on' all the time as dc is.

I'm kinda surprised it works at all.

Does it dim at idle? (not that that is a big deal....just curious) Did your headlight get brighter at idle after you put it in?

What did it cost?

Thanks for the info! The last time this came up, I went to the local schuck's (same as autozone) and asked them about led replacement bulbs. They said they didn't have any.

That was only a few weeks ago.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
CC,it seems to work fine.I just hooked the multimeter to the bulb itself and don't know if I did it right.I don't know much about electronics testing.I'm learning as I go.I will check for dimness in a couple of hours when it gets dark(I have never had it out past sunset).I got the tip from another dirt rider who was always blowing tail lights.I bought my 2000 KDX220 used and the bulb was already blown when I bought it.I will post back on the dimming results in a little while.Thanks for the info on checking for that.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks for the update. 30ma is about zip for power. I just did a considerably more complicated wiring job than I'd like to have done to power lights and grip heaters. Two 'extra' amps would come close to making the difference. 'Difference' meaning I wouldn't have to wire two separate circuits and run one or the other...I could run both (together)!

That would be a good thing in the freezing, and dark rides.
***edit**

BTW, isn't the incandescent shown an 1157? And the LED replacement is for an 1156 application?

Last edited:

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
CC,all I know is I'm using the 1156R(Red) for the tail light and it works beautifully.The Jamstrait 1157-SR is a dual element LED for brake/tail light applications.I don't even know if the KDX220 has a brake light.Please fill me in.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The led11.jpg you posted above shows a dual element incandescent bulb, but that bulb is not used in most kdxs...cuz, as you say, there isn't a brake light (dual sport conversions notwithstanding..and even THEY may use a single element bulb. ALSO notwithstanding overseas models).

And the LED unit in the pic appears to be a single (1156) element.

That was the point of the question.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
canyncarver that pic was taken from JamStrait.com and was used on their site to show size comparisons only.Sorry it took a year to follow up

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I had to buy a two pack of these 1156R LED bulbs when this came out a year ago. I installed one of them and my riding buddy installed the other. They are both still burning brightly! I never did get very long out of a regular filament bulb. The price is high, but the function is there! Now what do I need to do with my extra amps?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: extra amps

Grip heat!!!

I thought I got a 2-pack, too. Yeah...just try to FIND the other one now.

Nope. Not happening.

My first one was in a gazillion (approximate number) bits and pieces last I checked.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
CC -- How about grip coolers for Texas? Anybody ever make and use a handlebar mounted persona fan for woods riding in the heat? Other suggestions?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…