Quick PV question

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Okay, the 125 is the first bike I've had with a PV.

I'm going to remove some carbon buildup from my pipe, and while I'm at it check on the PV. If its gunked up can I just spray some carb clean or brakleen on it and then kick it so the gunk is launched? Is this a good Idea at all?

Thanks

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Nice reply endo, you could even be more helpful as too answer his question. Dell, do you mean remove the powervalves totally and clean them or remove the caps and just clean where the shaft and gears are? If you want to dissassemble the PV, I'd reccomend a service manual though, those PV's are complicated.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I would suggest you take the power valve out and clean it. It's usually easier to clean the exhaust port area while doing a rebuild. But you could probably take some steel wool to it with some WD-40, carb cleaner probably wouldnt hurt. I would suggest that you put the piston at TDC so that no scraped off carbon or anything gets into the cylinder. Once done cleaning, take a hose and spray the chemicals and loose carbon/gunk off, then wipe with rag.

Kornholio

Jul 11, 2001
Be careful if using the oven cleaner, dont leave it on for too long as the chemical attacks the aluminium. :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You need to remove the PV dell. If you don't, the crud you loosen will just get into the cylinder and potentially ruin the ring and piston.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Definitely take the cylinder off and take them completely apart. You won't be able clean all of the parts of the valves if you leave them in the engine. Its not a hard job, just be careful you put it back together the right way, and don't damage any of the springs during disassembly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…