Jun 5, 2008
i have a 2002 honda cr 80 rb it starts up first kick, runs great, just will not idle. When i tap the gas to start it, it revs up and the rpms go up then down to where it dies, but if i rev it i can keep the engine running. But what would any of you check first? i'd just like a second opinion before doing a bunch of unnecessary work on it.

Brian&Brian

Mar 8, 2009
IndyMX said:
2 strokes should not idle forever..

Start it and ride..
Best answer in the world. But i think he means it dies out almost as soon as the throttle is let go. My bikes is like that because i race but dose have some idle

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2008
ok i cleaned the carb, emptied the gas, changed the plug and adjusted the idle and such and it idles now somewhat steadily, i just need to know what's the best ratio to use on a 2 stroke? cause i put 32:1 and it has white smoke so can someone tell me the amount of oil that they put per gallon?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
white smoke is burned coolant. you have a leak of coolant to cylinder. the usual place for that to happens is the head gasket.
while you are changing the gasket you may want to inspect the top end. you will need a service manual to know all the correct bolt torque, tolerances and to guide you trough the process.
32:1 is good for trail riding.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A known issue on the little CR's is the leaking head gasket. Correct torque values and a really good quality gasket are imparative.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Be sure its white? What brand of mix oil are you using, most are blueish. What brand tranny fluid, most are a lightly colored brown. The smell, coolant is sweet, mix is enjoyable, and tranny stinks! I will get the link later.

Jun 5, 2008
thank you sir, and if 32:1 is good for trail riding what would be good for the track then? also i asked someone before i checked this and they said it's too much oil that's causing the white smoke. and i can check to make sure it's white i'll update in the morning

Last edited:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
32:1 is what most brands recomend! so you are ok.
white smoke is NOT too much oil.
while your are repairing the head gasket lap the surfaces (both, cylinder and head) on a fine grit sand paper. :nod:

if you want to learn about oil and smoke and how they are related do a search about the subject... you are in vacations right? have a lot of time ;)

Jun 5, 2008
so my bike is back to not idling, and the connection to the expansion chamber from the cylinder housing is covered in a black grease, my exhaust pipe has black grease from the escape, and i'm slightly color blind and i can't tell you if it's white smoke for sure, i'm trying to get my friend to come over to help me tell what color it is for sure. Also i saw a post somewhere about smoke and what it tells you on this forum. and plus it's vacation exactly, but when school starts i'm gonna be sooo busy so i just want to ride while i can! Also what do you mean by lap the surfaces?

Jun 5, 2008
http://www.procircuit.com/jettingspecs.htm#2002
ok i never mentioned it stopped idling when i changed my exhaust (didn't think it would do that) and when i go to that website for my bike it says position second i understand that's talking about the needle jet but then it says 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 what does that mean???? 1 1/2 from what? also i put a k&n air filter but i've had that for so long (i keep it clean) and it never affected anything but other then that there's no mods on my bike so if that helps any

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Not to come off as ripping on you in particular. Read up on some of the older threads on the exact same subject, jetting. Any owners manual will also go into depth about jetting. Confusion over an air screw adjustment is a dead give away? People can only help you do so much, short of actually doing it for you. Go back and read posts 6's links, it should become clear, or at least you will have better questions?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
jetting is a term that describes carb fine tunning. it´s called like that because you have to change pre-metered jets to diferent ones in order to suply the needs of gas in engine.

second position means the second clip position from top notch. this clip will alter your bikes jetting, roughly from 1\4 throttle to 3\4 throttle opening.
now, you have in the right side of the carb (stupid side to put it!!) two screws. the bigger one is what controls the idle speed, the other controls the mixture air\gas when idling. i usualy set both this way:
close the mix screw tottaly (clockwise) and back it 1 1\2 turns out! thats what it means... then open and close that screw with the engine runing until the idle is higher. after that just close 1\2 turn and thats it... then, just fine tune the idle speed screw until the bike just idle. :cool:

to check if the head gasket is leaking, start the bike and open the radiator. not apart, just take the cap ;)
now give some snapy gas and check if the water on radiator makes bubles, came out or just make a jet of water... all of this is difficult to recognise. it should just make a powerfull jet of water.

hope this makes any sense to you... it does not for me :whoa:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom