125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Im in the process of rebuilding a ds80 right now, but one of the piston rings seems smaller (tighter when its on the piston) than the other one. Does anyone know if it should be this way and if so does the tighter one go on top or bottom. Thanks

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
is there any markings on the ring packages that says "top" or "first"? The rings have to float in side the ring land for them to work. Do you have a manual that tells you what the ring to ring land clearance should be? Is one of the rings a keystone ring that you are trying to putin upside down? Do not guess on which ring goes where, and do not put the rings in upside down. Do not finish that engine until you know which ring goes where and which way is up.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Ever have one of those moments when you realise your a bleeping idiot??? Ya, i just reexamined the rings and noticed a tiny tiny "t" which must mean "top", so i had it in upside down :| Thanks though!

Last edited:

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Do you have one in upside down? Yuoshould also measure the gap BEFORE installing the rings or the piston. I believe if you look at the rings you'll see that there is a bevel on the inside.

Top Bottom