Quiet KDX

spray

Dec 27, 2004
Had an older KDX200 years ago, liked it very much. Thinking of getting another, but houses are creeping in all around me. To still ride I need to make the bike as quiet as possible, any suggestions? Hoping not to go to 4 stroker.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
They are quiet and restricted in stock form. Modded with air box opened up and after market exhaust can be done with sound in mind however. The box can be opened with drilled holes and vents inserted to reduce sound output while still increasing performance. Both PC and FMF offer quiet versions of mufflers to reduce sound input that can be coupled with their performance pipes. A win/win situation. Most will tell you FMF Gnarly Woods/Q muffler for the 200. FMF Gnarly Desert/Q muffler for the 220, but depends on the exact use of the bike.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I think the double wall stock pipe with stock silencer is the most quiet (while down on HP). Has anyone tried dampening the overall sound level by coating the outside of an aftermarket pipe? I was experimenting with an acoustic lead- filled damping vinyl but either couldn't form it or attach it without looking like a a mess. I've considered using some sort of high temp undercoating but have not researched it yet. I keep thinking that if my bike had an electric motor I could ride it in a million more places that a standard 2-stroke application

billc

Mar 13, 2004
Stock pipe/silencer are very quiet.I don't think aftermarket stuff is any better;probably worse!
After doing the airbox mod,my bike really makes alot of loud intake noise too.
If you want quiet,a bone stock KDX can be pretty stealthy.
I think the loudest bikes in the woods are the 4 strokes!

esc

Feb 10, 2004
I have an 03 KDX 200 w/ airbox lid removed, FMF pipe, FMF turbinecore 2 silencer....plus other stuff Just this last fall, at an enduro, it registered at 89 db. Pretty quiet I think.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Just to clarify, my thoughts above were that the stock bike is quiet (quiet as it gets), but very restricted. To limit noise make sure all air box and exhaust mods have noise limitation as a goal, thus the suggestions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…