Quitting Smoking

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Oh and another thing. How did all of you fair on the weight gain issue after quitting? I'm sittin' at an all time high of 222. :laugh: It's a slim 222 if I might say so. Being tall helps to spread the slop around a little more. ;)

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Pretty cool this thread is here....I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow at 14:30 to go on Zyban. I've been smoking for over 20 years now and have quit twice. Once in Basic Training because they wouldn't allow you to smoke; picked them back up; then again 5 years ago using Zyban. I quit for 6 months and the cravings started to get the best of me so I decided to sneak a smoke here and there...well, you know how that goes. I should have gotten back on the Zyban for a bit.

This time will be different. I've been psyching myself up for the last couple of months, really learning to hate smoking and the cravings. I've been trying to break my triggers: with coffee first thing, after a meal, in the car...you know...and in 2 weeks (provided my dr. gives me the Zyban) I'll put them down again. This time though, at the 6 month mark, if I get cravings really bad I'll go back on Zyban. I know that sneaking just one is all it takes...

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Joe Diver said:
I know that sneaking just one is all it takes...

You are correct! Good luck, and I'll do for you as others have done for me. That is...offer my support in any way I can. Set goals/ rewards for yourself. :) Remind yourself of how proud you'll be to become an EX-smoker. :cool:

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Green Horn said:
You are correct! Good luck, and I'll do for you as others have done for me. That is...offer my support in any way I can. Set goals/ rewards for yourself. :) Remind yourself of how proud you'll be to become an EX-smoker. :cool:

:) The biggest reward: Babes. I'm back in the dating world after an 8 year hiatus that ended in divorce... :ahhh: Seems the young babes don't tolerate smoking like they used to....

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Best of luck to you Diver. It takes effort, but as I'm sure you're aware, it's worth it. :cool:

And Green Horn, I gained about 40Lbs after I quit smoking. Traded the smokes for cookies/junk food. But, on the bright side, with the recent onset of casts, I have considerably reduced the number of trips to the kitchen. That in turn has reduced that 40Lbs. to 30Lbs. or so in just two weeks. Hopefully after the 12 weeks, I'll be back to fighting weight.

Good luck and remember never quit quitting. Matt

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I am up about 10 lbs since quitting. I'm not going to worry about the weight right now. I have been smoke free for 4 months now. :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
plykins said:
I am up about 10 lbs since quitting. I'm not going to worry about the weight right now. I have been smoke free for 4 months now. :cool:

Good call, and congratulations. Matt :cool:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hows everybody doin??
PlyKins, congrats on the 4 month mark!! :aj: This is cool,
COntinued success too all :aj:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Congrats Perry! 4 mos. is awesome. To think you've been a non-smoker for 1/3 of the year now. :aj: This coming monday will be the 6 wk mark for me. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. :nod:

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I have been chewing for the last 16 years, a can a day minimum. I quit cold turkey 5.1.05

It aint fun. Eating sunflower seeds like a mad dog. Day 2-5 were really bad, especially sitting in traffic to and from Dallas... Getting better now, don't feel like I need one anymore but sure as hell want one.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
That's great news Thump. Congratulations. :cool:
Before you know it you'll be in here giving people grief for not quiting yet. Keep up the good work, and if you need anything just give us a shout! YZ165

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Way to go Thump! Honestly it's my belief that the toughest part is actually making the decision to stop the bad habits. Now that you've done so, just take it day by day. It definately gets easier the longer you stay a quitter. :)

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Way to go Thump :cool:
If you find yourself needing anything, this is the place to get it.

Last edited:

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Wow... I didnt realize how many people around here quit!! I cant believe it! congrats everyone! You are my inspiration...

I havent quit totally yet.. but I am down to 2 cigarettes a day during the week and a few more than that on the weekends. I am down from just over a pack a day. The key for me was just breaking my old habits.. getting in the car, talking on the phone, etc. Once I did that, the cut down really wasnt as horrible as I thought it would be. I dont even bring my smokes to work with me anymore. I wont lie and say its been easy, but when you are ready, you can do it!!! I really and truly believe you have to want to quit, really want to give up that habit, before you can even set a quit date. What helped me along was getting bronchitis 2 times this year and the Dr saying "Do you realize that you are putting hot smoke into your sick lungs?" That did it. From that day on... 2 smokes a day!!! Its funny, with in a few days, my old habits were broken. I thought it would take months to get over that!!!

I dont understand why I havent been able to axe the last few a day yet, but I will. I am really proud of myself for making a pack last a week!!! And not just 12 hrs! I will quit completely soon.

Congratulations everyone! Keep it up! I will join your ranks soon!!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Way to go Crispy! Down to 2 cigarettes a day is admirable for sure. You've pretty much done all of the hard work. All that's left is to finish it off and be rid of them for good. You're right though, you have to want to quit before you actually do it.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
As scary as it is I think Green Horn is right :rotfl:
Keep up the good work Crispy and we wish you all the best in your final step :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
You're headed in the right direction Crispy. Keep up the good work, and never quit quitting. :cool: YZ165

Last edited:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
7 weeks today!!! :aj: I am most certainly over the hump at this point. I have a bad day about once or twice a week where I REALLY want one. But that feeling goes away, and I remind myself not to f--- up all the hard work I've put into this. :nod: May 29th will be 2 mos. It'll be a good feeling to start counting by mos. instead of days/ weeks. Then eventually... count by years.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Crispy, Thump, Joe Diver...what's the latest with you all? Good news I hope.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Good Job Green Horn! :aj:
The 19th of this month will be 6 months for me. I too have had some hard days recently. I think I'm just bored and can't get out and do much. Luckily I haven't been able to convince the wife to go get me a pack yet! LOL! At any rate, good job to all who have quit, YZ165

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Good job Greenie, keep it up. And don't smoke either

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
WTG Matt! 6 mos rocks. :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Holy CRAP!! It's been six months plus for us too!! Waaaahooooooooo!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Time flies when you're not a smoker 'eh Rooster! :aj:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…