Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
All subcultures have their own unwritten codes, I'm sure the MX subculture has the same. I'm going to start racing (Vet Novice) and want to put #s on my bike. Is there an unwritten language or code that goes with #s. I notice some guys use double digits, some use triple digits. Does this mean anything? Does it correspond with someone's presumed skill level? etc.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Almost all associations reserve 1 thru 10 for the top 10 in that class. Our district lets you pick numbers in the order of your preferance and they assign the first open one.
In the pros the top 100 are assigned by their prior year results (I believe the top 20 are reserved for Guys who have won a SX or nationals title and are permanent as long as they get points in at least one race every year)

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
I want to do a series called REM http://www.remsatmx.com/ in So Cal. they don't mention me having to be a member of an association or club or anything like that. They don't mention that they assign numbers. The website just tells me I need to show up with numbers already on my bike.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
for motocross it is usually black numbers on white backgrounds for 250s and white numbers on black backgrounds for 125s. if you go with a three digit number there is a lot less likelyhood of two bikes showing up with the same number. of course as i say this the next time i go to the track there will be a 246 there. its sucks when there are two bikes with the same numbers. someone has to alter with electrical tape or some other means. our local tracks are not big fans of the chrome numbers either. they say hard to score while night racing.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I also have a numbers question. I plan to start racing MX this year (dist 11) and I thought most racers just use the last 3 digits of their AMA number. Does this vary by district or event (ie, MX vs HS)?

Thanks,
Andy

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The North Carolina Hare Scrambles Association assigns 3 digit numbers to riders based on class. For example (and this is not accurate):
100-199 = Open A
200-299 = Open B
300-399 = Senior A
400-499 = Senior B

I've heard of some districts using the last 3 digits, but I've never seen it enforced. I raced once in OH and they let me use whatever was on my bike. (Actually, at the time I had left it at TMax's house for the preceding week, so it had #969, pink tassels out of the grips, Suzuki stickers on my black YZ, and baby powder in the bulb squeeze-type horn on the handlebars).

In NC there was a family that used to run pink numbers on black and white checkerboard backgrounds.

I'm currently running black numbers on yellow backgrounds for my CRF...just because Hondas should have red, yellow, and black on them!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Andy unless you really want a specifis number you can usually just show up on your first race day without a number and in sign up they will issue your season number. Often then you can either run as X or try to fashion your assigned number for the dau until you can get real numbers.
There are also several riders in our district that put their favorite number on their bike and just take the chance that nobody shows up with it also. If the true assigned person shows up the imposter just adds an X with black tape. If 2 guys have the same number but neither is officially issued it the 2nd at sign up puts the X.

POZOS

Jul 22, 2002
I'm racing the TCHSS (Texas Championship Hare Scramble Series) this year.
They are AMA dist 20. The numbers are by class, for the 2 hours race they are as follow:

0-99 AA Class
000-099 (3 digit) A Class
100-199 Over 30 A
200-299 (0-200 cc) A Class
300-399 4 Strokes A
400-499 Over 40 A
500-599 Open B
600-699 Over 30 B
700-799 (0-200 cc) B Class
800-899 Over 40 B
900-999 4 Strokes B

In the ENDUROS in Mexico it's very similar, (3 digits numbers) the first digit it's for the class.

I'm also racing MX in Mexico, and there you can choose any number, but the the colors are diferents depending in which class are you racing.

"Experts" BLACK numbers WHITE Backgrounds
"Intermediate" WHITE numbers BLACK Backgrounds
"Beginers" BLACK numbers YELLOW Backgrounds

By the way... in Texas I have #369 (4strokes A), in Mexico MX #69 (Intermediate), and in the Enduros in Mexico I also Have #69 (Experts)

POZOS

Jul 22, 2002
I'm racing the TCHSS (Texas Championship Hare Scramble Series) this year.
They are AMA dist 20. The numbers are by class, for the 2 hours race they are as follow:

0-99 AA Class
000-099 (3 digit) A Class
100-199 Over 30 A
200-299 (0-200 cc) A Class
300-399 4 Strokes A
400-499 Over 40 A
500-599 Open B
600-699 Over 30 B
700-799 (0-200 cc) B Class
800-899 Over 40 B
900-999 4 Strokes B

In the ENDUROS in Mexico it's very similar, (3 digits numbers) the first digit it's for the class.

I'm also racing MX in Mexico, and there you can choose any number, but the the colors are diferents depending in which class are you racing.

"Experts" BLACK numbers WHITE Backgrounds
"Intermediate" WHITE numbers BLACK Backgrounds
"Beginers" BLACK numbers YELLOW Backgrounds

By the way...
In Texas I have #369 (4strokes A)
In the Enduros in Mexico #69 (Experts)
And in MX I also have #69 (Intermediate)

TMax

Nov 4, 2002
n8MX has it right in Dist. 11. They recommend you run the last three digits of your AMA membership number. However, most people don't.

TMax

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The guy I just bought my bike from raced it, and used "42" because that's the channel of Nickelodean(sp?) around here. I use 76 at DW because thats when I graduated High School, and my son uses 47 because thats the most random number he could come up with(go figure ;) )

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
XR Guy, is this the same xr guy that's Stan's dad? So you got a new bike eh?

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
And, POZOS, I think that offroad series tend to run a different number system, with more letters. In the Cross Country series in N. Texas (TCCRA) all the amateurs are a 600-something number with the letter specifying the class (ie I race 250 Am. so my number is T613), then Intermediates are a 3XX number, and Experts are just 2 digits. In the winter hare scrambles series up here (TORO) all racers are an A, B, or C based on skill level, then a 3 digit number based on class.

MX racers are different, in that they usually just show up with whatever number. I think this is so because woods type races have lots and lots of racers at once, whereas MX races are shorter with fewer riders on the track. Psalm, if you're unsure, show up to the first race with a package of Home Depot numbers (like $5) and race with whatever number they give ya, then go get some better ones of the number that's assigned.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by yzguy15
XR Guy, is this the same xr guy that's Stan's dad? So you got a new bike eh?

Yes, just picked it up Tuesday(01 KX250), have not ridden it yet. But it sounds GREAT! :confused:

I doubt that I will race it, just a play bike for me.

Stan is already talking of trying to find a 250 also. :)

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
If you have numbers on the bike now, don't change 'em. If no numbers, don't add any. Just show up, being ready to change and/or add the numbers at the track.

Some black tape or cheap numbers will get you through that first race.

You'll then find out what numbers, letters, backgrounds, etc, you'll need. As you can see, there are many variations.

Some clubs use different backgrounds, and number / letter combos for lots of things, including; sex, skill, age, engine size, 2/4 stroke, class, permanent or temporary member, etc.

Even the placement of where the letter(s), if any, are placed can be specific. And bans on flourescent backgrounds, chrome numbers, vented front number plate, etc.

Top Bottom