Racetech or KX forks ?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Winter, the season of bike teardown and modification is around the corner. I'm going to do something with the forks but I can't decide what. I have heavier springs but want better damping.Who has ridden bikes with both Racetech mods and with a KX front end. What do ya think? I know the KX forks have less underhang for ruts and I assume better potential. But I would guess that they are not valved correctly for single track and m ild MX both. Is anything :)

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, as im sure you know, you will need more than kx forks to work on your bike, you will need the kx axel,wheel,and triple tree. This you can find for a good price of $250 plus for that price im sure it wil need bearings or seals. So the kx front end would cost like $400 to be in excellent shape, but i have heard nothing negative about this setup.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
The KX forks have much more capabilities than doing it the other way. The main question is do you really need it? Or is it just the bling factor? Most riders can not explore the limits of the suspension; especially on a bike like the KDX, which is not a race bike. Don't get me wrong the KDX is an awesome bike and I'm all for bling, but you need to honest about what you want/need vs. what you want/can spend.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I am sure that the KX forks are better and that they would cost more. I also don't care about bling ( one look at last months mud on my bike will prove that :) I guess what I'm after is a direct comparison between the stock (with heavier springs) Racetech and KX forks. Sorry I didn't state this correctly. I'm not out to win a supercross but I do like some mild jumps and the KDX does not.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I've ridden worked over stock forks and kx forked kdx's. There is no comparision. Both bikes dampened correctly and were completely responsive. The difference is in the flex of the front end. After riding the kx forked kdx the stock forks fell like they were made out of spagetti. Its quite noticable when your flying down a trail covered with lots of rocks and roots. The stockers are deflecting and bouncing all over the place. The kx forks just take it all in stride. Its pretty amazing the difference it makes.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
All in all... it will cost you about the same either way you go. That is if you sell your KDX forks to Fredette.
Your better off going the KX route and you will gain rebound settings, stiffness and no underhang....something the KDX forks don't have.
Depending on what you weigh... You can get KX forks that will work quite good in the woods in stock form. I weight 200#s and have '03 KX 125 forks with .42 springs in them with the clickers adjusted all the way out and it is about perfect!
It is still just a tad harsh and will remove 1-2 of the LSC shims on the valve and it should be perfect.

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks, thats just what I wanted. Now to find some forks, clamps, axel and wheel. I think that is the recomended shopping list. :)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
What m0rie said. Watch on line auction sites for a KX 125 front end. They go fairly cheap and there is plenty on info in this forum to help you with the swap. Just do a search for fork swap and read away. I'd go with the 125 front end because the spring rate and valving is likely more suitable for the KDX but a KX250 front end would also work.

David

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks Dave, I bid on a complete 125 front end but lost it due to work, but I'll keep on looking.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Another vote for KX forks. I've had/used revalved OEM forks (MX-Tech..not RT) and KX forks (also revalved). My KDX forks were perfect suspension-wise..but like m0rie said..you cannot improve over the basic limits of the design. The first thing I noticed with the KX forks is that my damper (WER) could actually DO something....you can't damp mush.

Be careful on the triple clamp fork tube torque! 10ft/lbs works...and you will like it a whole lot better than 12ft/lbs. Try 'em both.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
What year model KX forks can you use? Are there any mods you have to make to the triple clamp or just bolt them on?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
canyncarvr said:
Be careful on the triple clamp fork tube torque! 10ft/lbs works...and you will like it a whole lot better than 12ft/lbs. Try 'em both.

What the heck does this have to do with how the forks work?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
KdxChode said:
What the heck does this have to do with how the forks work?

Binding. On inverted forks the piston slides through the clamping area. Over-tighting the triple clamp bolts will lead to binding and a harsh stroke. I'm not so sure you can tell the difference between 10 and 12 ft-lbs, but all well.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
yes but you will need to have the kdx bearings pressed onto the steering stem, and you will need the wheel and axel off of a kx because the kdx wheel will not work with the kx forks. The brakes from the kdx should work though.

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
kdx220freak said:
Thanks..easy thing to do :cool: I see RM forks for sale all the time with title of fitting KX's..will they also be a option? sorry for so many questions.. I have some 2002 kx125 forks coming..need the wheel and axle next..I got out of the new 450F to stop my reckless spending :bang: but now here we go again.. :coocoo:

Last edited:

tptp

Aug 16, 2005
I changed from KDX stock springs to 0.42 (to hard some says, but what racetech recomends for me 75 kg) took två shims out and clicks all way out. Made a big change, the bike handles much better. Will keep on testing with clicks and oil volume, maybe softer springs. Also measure the sag again and guess I need a little softer sping in the rear.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I was thinking of the KX route and have been bidding on KX front ends for about a month but I don't seems to be winning any of them. So maybe I'll go the racetech route and live with underhang.

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
kmccune said:
I was thinking of the KX route and have been bidding on KX front ends for about a month but I don't seems to be winning any of them. So maybe I'll go the racetech route and live with underhang.

There is a set on EB*Y for $200 right now..46mm 1999.. like new with clamps..they look gold from the picture but they're not..he sent me a email pic and they're like new.. :cool:

I'm going to keep my kdx stock for now..Anyone interested in a 2002 set-up? Forks..Triples..wheel w/rotor and axle..fork guards and sliders.. email daudisio@surewest.net

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks I'll take a look.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Kevin,
When I had mine, I had Jeremy at MX tech put in all kinds of stuff. When it was done I had a rebound adjustment as well as compression and some pretty cool valving, that I can't remember. I think he added a midvalve too. Bottom line, it worked VERY well. Of course this does not get rid of the fork flex, but that really didn't bother me that much - actually I liked it as I could run my sterring dampener at the lightest setting. I think it cost me about 400 bucks to have this done.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

Thanks I didn't think about MX tech, I'll check into this as I just want to get rid of the damping problems for whoops, and jumps. I don't care for really rigid forks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…