SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
What do you guys think would be the best type of race gas?

Right now i am looking at klotz stuff... they have a wide range of octanes.
In the discription some says its designed for four strokes... and others just say hi performance.

well this is for a 04 kx 125..

i will not be mixing it straight.. i will probably go around 20% race gas to 80% 93 octane pump gas, w/ maxima k2 mixed at 30:1.

so basicly out of all the brands of race gas what is the best octane to use in my situation... also what company offers the best prices?

thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What brands of fuel can you get consistent easy access to?

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I've been trying to find sources for race fuel here in the Naperville, IL area and have had no luck. Am I looking in the wrong spot or something, how do I find local sources?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
karterron said:
I've been trying to find sources for race fuel here in the Naperville, IL area and have had no luck. Am I looking in the wrong spot or something, how do I find local sources?

It took me awhile also. I eventually found a distributor right under my nose.

A lot of bike shops carry race fuel in 5 gallon cans.

Try calling local gas stations to see if:

A: Whether they can get order it;

B: If they know anywhere . . .

I'm sure the guys at the local track could point you in the right direction.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
check out vp fuels web site under dealer locator.There is a performance auto place just outside of plainfield that will get it for you

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
SirHilton17 said:
What do you guys think would be the best type of race gas?

Right now i am looking at klotz stuff... they have a wide range of octanes.
In the discription some says its designed for four strokes... and others just say hi performance.

well this is for a 04 kx 125..

i will not be mixing it straight.. i will probably go around 20% race gas to 80% 93 octane pump gas, w/ maxima k2 mixed at 30:1.

so basicly out of all the brands of race gas what is the best octane to use in my situation... also what company offers the best prices?

thanks

Just FYI for trhose who don't know, you should post a list of all mods you've had done to the bike - particularly if you have overbore, compression, etc. . .

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
karterron said:

Firepower Race Fuels (formerly Phillips 66 racing fuel)

Precision Automotive Research
901 Hillside Dr.Bensenville, IL 60106
Phone: 630-766-4402
Fax: 630-766-1715
Email: PARbrowser@aol.com

Tell Dave I said HI :cool:

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Also check your local Drag strip, these guys are a wealth of info on octane, race fuel and such items. I hang out two or three times a year at the Local Drag races, and the guys who hang there have been great with sharing info. They see fuel as a cheap part of thier set up, being that they only run on a track for 9-13 seconds on average, and total time for a start up to a checkered flag is like 30 seconds or so. One of the guys has let me into his buying circle when I want, its based on 6 of the guys buying fuel in bulk and storing it in his tanks at his house. I buy a tankfull for my GTO on occasion, so now I will be taking my premix can with me to get 5 gallons for the bike.
Remeber we are all in this toageather.
Lok

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
Thanks for replys...

Umm.. there is not a place that sells it to my knowladge..

my dad knew a few places, but they all got rid of their tanks and no longer sell it...

Drag strip is a good idea... There is one just about 5 mins away from my house... i will have to give that a try..

My bike is a kx 125 that has been bored .80 in over and ported for mid-top by Gorr...
Gorr shaved the head, as did I when the bike was new, it has pretty high compresion for a 125cc mx bike imo...
it has a procircuit pipe, ans shorty muffler, stock ignition timing.. that is about it...

i am having a hint of pre-detonation up at the high rpms since gorr ported it... and right now it is running rich, i richened it up a little, and now that it is ported i think gorr said they usualy need to be leaned out..
It is cold where i am... about 30 degrees... im not sure what the cold temps would make for pre-detionation...
I am thinking about retarding the timing alittle, along with a mix of race gas...

what do you guys sugest.. leaded or non-leaded? i have heard both ways... some say it will foul plugs... im not sure

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SirHilton17 said:
what do you guys sugest.. leaded or non-leaded? i have heard both ways... some say it will foul plugs... im not sure

If you get the correct distillation curve and octane for the engine it won't matter if it has lead or not. Lead in the fuel just gives you more margin for error if you screw up he tuning because it tends to be a little more forgiving.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
My "local" race gas supplier is 2 hours away. So I make a trec about 3 times a year. I buy my fuel in 55 gallon drums ( yeh, it seems like a big hit in the wallet, but it is a lot cheaper than 5 gallons at a time ). It seems to keep well, but I do keep it in my climatically controlled garage, which much to my wife's displeasure is for my dirt bikes and not her car.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Not sure where in MI you are, but a trip to Ft Wayne would save you loads on shipping cost of Klotz fuels. Shipping charge will kill you.

IF you find a VP dist. close by, I wouldn't suggest buying their fuel from an open 55gal can. Insist on 5gal cans.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
My VP fuel comes in sealed drums ( VP Seals ) Jaybird, my supplier refuses to sell anything opened, I would be suspect of someone selling an open drum isn't really selling VP fuel.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm not talking about buying the drum...I'm talking about buying 5 gals and having it pumped FROM the open drum in their shop. Light ends gone...something else poured in...etc...

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Yeh I figured you were, just wanted to point out it is cheaper to buy the drum. I'll bet VP hdqtrs would cringe to know their fuel is being sold out of an open drum.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
Firepower Race Fuels (formerly Phillips 66 racing fuel)

Precision Automotive Research
901 Hillside Dr.Bensenville, IL 60106
Phone: 630-766-4402
Fax: 630-766-1715
Email: PARbrowser@aol.com

Tell Dave I said HI :cool:

Rich

Any idea what they sell a 5 gallon drum for and how does it compare to C12? I did finally find a source for VP C12, cost is a little over $10 a gallon for a 5 gallon drum and $8 for a 30 gallon.

I've always used C12 so I'm not familiar with some of these other brands and how they compare.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
I get 109 octane Powermist only a couple miles from where I live. My bikes are stock, but I've noticed that the top-ends in my 2-strokes last four times as long and the motors also run cooler and more consistent funning the race fuel so I stick with it.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I used to use the Philips 66 race fuel. Had 0 problems with it - it was considerably cheaper than VP, but the distributor closed shop. So, now I run VP.

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
i mixed up some stuff my dad had... i dont know what it was but it was purple or blue and it was 110 octane.... i mixed it about 20% to 80% the 20% being race gas and the 80% being pump. Made a nice change... the detionation is 100% gone... and it feels like it pulls a little nicer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom