thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Well I see this morning that gas prices have reached a record high at $3.20 a gallon on average. When we take this and add it to gate fees and racing fees/ AMA cards/Dist Cards etc how can most people continue to participate. It'll cost over $100.00 to race 2 motos/12 laps, this is of course not including the price of the bike and you have a track within a normal distance. I shoot Trap on a league from my old union but the price of lead has gone up so that a box of 12 ga trap loads that used to cost less than 4 dollars is now anywhere between 7-10 dollars depending, so now everytime you say "pull" it's 50 cents. And it looks like no end in sight, gas is supposed to reach 4 dollars by summer. :(

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
My "other" hobby has also gone up considerably. 2 years ago 100 rounds of 9mm was $11, now it is $19. Reloading equipment paid for itself in less than 6 months (15K rounds).

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
I used to reload too but a 25 pound bag of shot has gone from 12-14 dollars per bag to 40 dollars per bag.Its sad. I know some guys are trying reclaimed shot but I havent heard any reports.So if you do the numbers its still nuts the Browning will stay in the case this year

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Race offroad. Cheaper entry fees and you get to ride for 3 hours instead of 20 minutes. buying a fuel efficient vehicle helps too.

And ride at places close to home. Ride more, drive less.

:)

it sucks but offroad and all extra sports/activities will have to weather the financial storm for sure.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have always considered my dirt bike hobby as being "dirt cheap" compared to most of the other activities I do.

Have you been snow skiing? I drive four hours, spend $70 for a lift ticket, then either drive home or spend $100 for a motel and then another $70 to ski the next day.

Compared to my JetSki the dirt bike doesn't consume anything!

Rod

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Ow I know, my Elans stayed in the closet next to the Browning. Tuition and books are the priority right now.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
our local track lowered their entry and practice fees by $5 this year to help out. they will get quite a bit of my business just for making an effort.

Top Bottom