Rad temp Probe Project LOOK

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
For my School project I am making a temperature probe for a yz125. It will take the guess work out of warming up the bike even though its easy. I would like it if anyone could give me their own experiences(mostly problems if possible) and anything that would improve the product. What happens if the bike is too warm or too cold before setting off. Made for mx riders by mxriders :D :ride:

Would it have to be different for 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My temp probes have never failed me yet.
Auto engage/disengage, variable placement options, triggers audible and other warning sensors and mechanisms, works with a variety of strokes. Guaranteed for life.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Doug - While heat strips like the one's in the TMX article look really cool and high tech they don't tell you anything useful really. All they can measure is the skin temperature of the fluid carrying vessel.

There is a boundary layer between the aluminum skin of the vessel and the actual fluid in the device which acts as an insulator. Depending on the degree of turbulence in the fluid and how much it scrubs this boundary layer the heat that makes it to the skin will vary wildly, plus you have external air flow cooling the outer skin of the device at a much different rate then the fluid itself, again due to the boundary layer insulating effects.

In the end the skin temperature will vary wildly and have little bearing on the actual running fluid temperatures.

If you want to know what temperature a fluid runs at you have to put a probe in the fluid itself. A type K thermocouple is pretty standard for most normal data acquisition use. What might be most important is you have to pick the right spot for the probe. Picking the "right spot" is a science in itself. ;)

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
so Jay's probes aren't going to do much better than the pro-circuit heat tapes, eh?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
so Jay's probes aren't going to do much better than the pro-circuit heat tapes, eh?

My guess is Jay knows how a temp probe works and where it needs to be placed for an effective reading. :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was basically trying to make a point and spark some thinking.
The young man seems to have started the process, and he now has some more good info to work from.

I saw the beginnings of a marketing campaign with the "by mxers for mxers" thing...and figured it may be time for a bit more thinking before the actual marketing plan is put into effect. (mainly because, IMO, the temp gauge thing is going nowhere..but it could be a great exercise)

I suspect the number of inventors that have successful and viable items to market, after their first attempts, are few. But one thing is for certain, none of them quit.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jaybird said:
I suspect the number of inventors that have successful and viable items to market, after their first attempts, are few.

AMEN to that!! :cool:

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the response :D
The purpose of this project is to show that I can make a “temperature probe” basically, at the moment it doesn’t have to work perfectly but in as I am in the problem and research stages, development is not far off so by then I could decide whether to make it as accurate as possible, but a the time being I am thinking of a simple snap on sensor on the outside that roughly tells you when to go. Maybe with the help of you experienced peoples we could make this work :D I am purposely making it for a bike with liquid cooling but if possible could expand to air cooled bikes. As for the indication of the temperature Im thinking of a simple row of leds, blue for cold, green for good, red for overheating.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
My guess is Jay knows how a temp probe works and where it needs to be placed for an effective reading. :cool:
I was figuring Jay's heat probe was the same as mine . . .

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yeah, but I've got the left AND right handed models.
:nener:

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
So what range of temperature am I looking at here? Sorry I couldnt reply didnt have any internets :D

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…