glisade

Feb 13, 2003
I just installed the boyesen rad valve on my 96 kdx200 and when I started the bike it revved like crazy. So I adjusted the idle until it seemed somewhat normal and wouldn't stall when I put the choke back in. Couple things: it says to go 2-4 sizes leaner main jet, I don't know what size I have now, so how do I know if I need to go leaner?? Should I adjust the air screw?

I bought the bike from someone who put an FMF fatty pipe and silencer on it. But I don't know if he rejetted or did anything else.

Sep 15, 2004
stock jetting on my '05 kdx 200 was 160 main and 48 pilot.Should be the same for a '96.Only way to tell for sure is pull the carb and jets.I put boyesen power reeds in mine and it does richen things up quite a bit.The jets will have the size stamped on them.I went to a 152 main and going to go to a 45 pilot. Since I changed the main jet my green beast is running soooooo much better.Kinda snappy now!!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
When I put the power reeds in I had to go down One Main Size due to the increase in richness. Follow the manufacters instructions. If it says 2 -4, first go 2 down(Check the results) and go from there.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
If you are getting big revs at idle when you start the bike you have a vacuum leak in the intake between the carb and the cylinder. Double check your gaskets, intake manifold, etc. That assumes that it idled fine before the reed block change. Unless you changed your idle screw when you changed the reed block nothing else I can think of makes sense. I run a RAD valve and it definitely added some snap to the power.

glisade

Feb 13, 2003
Thanks guys,

Rhodester, that's exactly what happened with the idle. The rad valves came with 2 gaskets but I only used one thinking I didn't need both. And I could feel air coming out of the gasket, tightening the screws didn't help so I put some high temp gasket on it and it fixed it. I adjusted the idle screw to normal and the air screw as well. so far it runs fine but I haven't been able to put a good load on it to see if it's running too rich and if it bogs. I'll go riding this weekend to see how lean I may need to go.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom