Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
KDX200 1991.

I have noticed that during a hare scramble of enduro that my bike will use radiator fluid. It will go from full to low in the matter of 4 hours or so. I know that the bikes run hot. I haven't noticed any drop off in performance. Is this normal, what maybe wrong. Water pump, head gasket ???

tks Darrin

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
What is going low, the level in the radiator or the level in the overflow bottle? If it is the radiator you would hope to find the excess coolant in the overflow. If this is the case your bike is running hot. If the radiator level is getting lower and the overflow remains the same you have a system leak. This could be in the radiator, the hoses or the water pump.

If it is only the overfill tank that is loosing coolant I wouldn't worry. If you fill the overflow to the high mark it always vents itself due to bouncing/jumping/dropping.

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
There has been many posts about this subject. So based on the large number of questions I am assuming that this is normal. My '01 220 also seems to mysteriously lose coolant. I have ran for hours in extremely warm conditions, above 90 degrees, with no problems. Ax

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
Yes good question.

It is running low in the overflow bottle. I guess due to bouncing as suggested. This hasn't caused any problems with the running of the bike.

tks Darrin

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
My 02 220 was loosing coolant out of the over flow tube for the last couple months. I know a lot of people say it's bouncing out the overflow tube. It turned out mine was actually leaking at the fitting on the bottom of the oveflow container. Tried zip tying the tube on tighter, but it didn't help. I finally put silcone on around the tube on both ends of the overflow container(where the tube connects to the container). I've got one race and about four rides on it since then, it's not loosing coolant anymore.:)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Coolant level in my 94 has never changed in 2 years; I'm afraid to change it!
Anybody remember a very old post (by Sage I think) that said Kawasaki roadrace guts used Toyota brand antifreeze?
Does brand really matter as long as you use distilled water; I got to change that stuff now that I'm worrying about it.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
There are definitely different grades and qualities of antifreeze coolant. That red Toyota stuff is apparently really good, but I suspect that nowadays some other coolants you can buy off the shelf at your auto store are probably just as good. If you're worried abou it, buy the most expensive one you can find that is marketed for late model cars. This is bound to have an emphasis on aluminium blocks/heads, and so should be suitable for KDX engines.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Change the coolant every year to be sure, else it will stop protecting against corrosion & you don’t want that, it kills cooing ability & can damage parts.

When you change it flush the system out with a hose backwards & forwards to try to clear crud from rad etc.

You may find your head gasket is leaking a bit when real hot which either the water is ingested into the engine or blows out into the overflow bottle, depending on it’s whim, but usually out. If it was sucking back in (ie: when you stop it & it cools perhaps) then the overflow would go down. Or the other theories about shake.

But the head stay apparently pulls on the head when the frame flexes & can cause problems. Check this isn’t a huge source of tension & drill the mounting hole in the plates slightly bigger to be sure.

Also check the gear oil isn’t contaminated which may indicate a worn w/p seal.

My 91 KDX played all these games but seems to use fairly little water now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom