Radiator Flushing?

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
I noticed some black specks in the radiator coolant. I want to flush the system, any sugestions and what radiator flush liquid to use?? It also looks like the guy that I got the bike from painted the radiators. Do you think I should spray on some paint remover and clean the paint off?? Wouldnt paint prevent the radiators from cooling properly???

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
I would just drain the system completely and refill. While the system is empty, a visual inspection of the radiator thru the pressure cap should give you a good feel for what the health of your cooling system in general is. Forget the radiator flush. If you're really concerned, pull the cylinder off and check out the water jackets.

As far as removing the paint.........
There is in fact 'proper' radiator paint. However, unless you suspect that the rads are not working properly because of the paint I would leave them alone. If you chemically strip them it could be a real nightmare to clean all of the paint goop out of the fins...

Hope this helps!
Chris

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
It looks like he used jsut black paint b/c its peeling in some places and I dont think that paint should be that thick on the Radiators.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…