procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
I have a '91 KDX 200 and the left side radiator is leaking on me. It is not a major leak just a consistent large drip. Is it worth it to get it repaired or should I just buy a new one. Also, where are some good places to find radiators or get them repaired? Any help is appreciated..i want to get back out riding ASAP!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I'm sure someone will say "oh no don't do that" but I have used radiator stop leak products on many car radiators with very good results, don't know about use on bikes.

Or you could take it to a radiator shop and have them fix it

Is it worth it to get it repaired? Have you priced a new KDX radiator lately?

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
If you feel that you need to replace the radiator, check ebay and the just kdx website. It boils down to economics. You need to get it fixed, but in the cheapest manner possible. I bought a tank and both rads for my '91 and only paid $40 for all. Just do your homework.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Depending on where the leak is, you might try fixing it yourself. I've done it using a torch and wheel weight lead but be sure to clean the area and use an acid flux for good flow. Neutalize the acid in the radiator after you have patched the leak by flushing.
I've also used JB Weld successfuly. I carry some in my fannypack for just such emergencies.
Another epoxy is a marine grade aluminum patch for boats. I've used this to repair hulls before and it should work on radiators too. It comes in a stick form and you use a propane torch and melt it on.
Always pressure check your system after affecting repairs to be sure you got it fixed before hitting the trail. If you are out on the trail and spring a leak, loosen the radiator cap to relieve the pressure and ride back easily to prevent boil over. An emergency stop leak is a handful of pepper. If you are out for a whole weekend and don't want to end the trip short, try it, it works!
Any radiator repair shop can give you an estimate to repair.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom