rattling and vibration from motor??

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
my 96 yz125 is making a loud rattling sound when revved. When it idles it sounds fine, but above 1/2 throttle it rattles and vibrates really bad. Last ride i got armpump really bad and started noticing it vibrating. It is getting progressively worse, and has vibrated my axle nut, sprocket nuts, and pipe mounts loose!

I understand 2 strokes vibrate, but it is getting worse and worse and the rattling sounded like the pipe was loose. After new exhaust orings, tighter springs, and new mounts it still rattles.

The clutch looks fine, it only has 10 hours tops on new crank bearings, new rod, and lower rod bearing. My only ideas are the wrist pin bearing could be shot, and the clutch hub bearing moves just slightly, but seems like normal "play" in a bearing.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well it could be several things, but my gut instinct is saying the crankweb has rotated slightly due to a loose web vs BE pin.

Possibly a bearing has started to fail. Hmm. . . nah.

Try the simple first. Inspect the flywheel is okay, then grab & wiggle it to check LHS main bearing.

Check you engine mounts aren’t loose/sloppy & frame for cracks.

I wouldn't want to run it much longer without resolution.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
I found the problem, only after playing with pipe springs/orings, tearing down the clutch, inspecting the flywheel, and pulling the top end. Of course it was none of these things, only a loose motor mount. :o doh!

thanks for replying

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom