RB Designs modded Quad Vent Air Striker

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Sounds pretty cool huh? I bet you want one!

I just got this carb from Ron today and installed it. It runs great (at least in the driveway!). I'm trying to make some adjustments and looking for some advice. BTW it has a 40/150 CEL-3 air screw 7/8's.

1. I had to turn the idle screw waaay in (the spring won't compress much more) to get it to idle. Is that normal or can you suggest a possible fix or at least point me in the right direction.

2. It isn't crisp right off the bottom. In second gear at walking speed (this is a test CC has suggested in the past) if I wick the throttle, it sputters then goes. Does that sound like I need to turn the air screw in, or out?

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how it goes after a weekend ride.

Tom

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Tom,

There are a million possible posts ahead in regards to your questions, but you may want to read the post in the archive section that has some impressive posts by real smart guys that apply directly to your current & future questions.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Your driveway isn't real suitable for testing much.

Any 'sputter' needs to be addressed with the air screw. Only after exhausting that avenue should you worry about anything else. Ron makes changes to the low speed circuitry that makes the AS a big deal. It's no longer a set-it-and-forget-it adjustment. It actually does something for you now.

The weekend's over. What happened?

The throttle response of the airstryker carb is excellent. If yours is not, it's either an adjustment issue or something else is wrong (boot leak or something).

Saying the idle screw needs to be all the way in, and there is a quick-wick bog problem is an air screw begging to be moved someplace!

That 'someplace' is probably 'out' (CCW).

Make sure you have some throttle cable play. With the airstryker, you'll need to 'let out' some cable to get the play you gotta have.

Any serious trouble (response problems and not having adjusting anything yet isn't serious), please do give ron a buzz. BUT be advised he starts the billing clock after five minutes of phone time...at $95/hour!! One hour minimum!!

......just kidding. He should do that......but he doesn't.......yet. ;)

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
"I bet you want one!"

I think it is funny that you brag, then ask for help to fix your new play pretty. If it ran so great, why did you come on here asking about the air screw?

View of many expressed by one,
JasonWho

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
On this site, there is a forum called "Archives"

In this forum is a post called "Emergency RB Designs Jetting Info Needed"

It contains 158 posts of guys who designed, dyno tested, field tested, modified, plotted and documneted, and who changed brass daily to get real world results at different altitudes, with different fuels, and under different load conditions.

It has been viewed over 5,075 times.

My suggestion is to stop wasting time speculating & start reading.

BTW, I have a tractability comparison test of CEK, CEL, BEL, and BEM needles when tested at 0 to 1/2 throttle under moderate loads in the works. Also tested flywheel weight as well; report coming soon.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
CC,

Thanks for the response, I tried it out on some hills on a Very Short ride and with the A/S turned in to about 1/2 turn it was much better off the bottom, way better than the stock carb has EVER been. I just got back from volunteering at Church Camp all week (what a great experience!) so I haven't ridden any more.

Jason,

Chill dude! I wasn't braggin, I was just trying to be humorous! I know that the RB Carb mod has had a lot of success and when I went to have mine done, Ron suggested the Air Stiker. The price was right and Ron claims that once I get it adjusted it will be better than a stock carb with his mod!(not as sensitive to jetting) Plus I do actually like the name, good marketing by Mikuni! How could I go wrong? I thought some other people may be interested in hearing about it. And BTW it ran better out of the box than my stock carb ever did, just not up to the standard I was expecting. As far as asking for advice here, that's what this board is for, right? I'm sorry about offending you and the many you represent, I'll try to be more careful in the future. :thumb:

Jim,
Thanks for the reference to the "Emergency RB Designs Jetting Info Needed" thread. I've actually read through that several times. I'm as intelligent as the next guy, but I lack some of the hands on experience since I just got back into bikes after many years away. I'm looking forward to the tractability report and flywheel weight report as well.

Tom

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re:'Plus I do actually like the name, good marketing by Mikuni! '

There he goes trying to be humorous agin!! ;)

The airstryker will knock your socks off! That may be my point of view...but it's also a true fact (as opposed to some other kind I'm guessin').

TV: Please do share the results of your fretting with jetting.

My riding buddy just got his airstryker (38mm hawg!) 'refitted' by mr. ron. He's trying a 'D' needle in place of the NOZH (double taper) that he had. The ktm carbs come with a notch in the TV that will be interesting to get a feel for.

I got a DEK to try.

Unfortunately, the national forest just closed down last week. There's no riding to be done nowhere 'cept at the beach. That's not much at all of a 'real world' testing ground for a woods bike.

Get ready folks. The airstryker is the next big thing!! All I need is a WP suspension and an orange/black color scheme and I'm all set!!.

......well, and a 2x4 for a seat and handlebars that buzz me numb in 30 seconds!

Top Bottom