rc is a jerk, part 2

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
this was posted by teggers over at motodrive.com

...so I'm at Bithlo (MX World) last Wednesday like I already posted and Bubba (James) is there being way cool! My kid "goodkidbattlebotracervon" is getting pictures and posters and stuff from Bubba and Scott Taylor is there and Von says to Scott Taylor (Rider rep for FOX) (...sorry Bubba) "my favorite rider is Ricky Carmichael".

So... Scott says "come over to my truck, I have something for you" (can the BS guys). He pulls out a REAL authentic RC jersey and hands it over to Von. This is a jersy that was made for SX win #6 (I think). Each week has a different amount of "Fox Bones - ie:wins" on it so you know when the jersey was worn or was supposed to be worn. Well, obviously, Von is stoked. He want's to thank Ricky. (in addition to Scott) ..... so

Scott says, (roughly translated) "Why don't I have Ricky call you and you can thank him in person." Von is blown away and he doesn't go to bed that night til 3 AM. We figure that the best time is after Southwick practice....but Von is racing that night at Bithlo. We (secretly) set up a call to Von after his practice and during the riders meeting so the rest of the racetrack can listen in on the phonecall.

I talk to Scott several times in the next few days and Ricky is into it.

My kid (in the meantime) has found the Ricky Carmichael toys in Wal-Mart (as well as Bubba) and pulls strings to purchase them. (He has 2 "freebies" from being good in school the last two weeks of the year.) He uses them and now owns 2 RC's and 1 Bubba. (He already had an RC)

Soooo... we set this up to have the phone call arive at about the time that the riders meeting is going on for the Saturday night "nitecross" series. Scott checks ahead and Ricky "OK's" a short interview after Von talks to him. After some quick calls and disconnections, Ricky calls my cel and all is on!

I hand the phone over to Von (7 years old) and really let them talk. I didn't listen or supervise. Ask Ricky sometime what they talked about... but Von definitely wanted to tell him a new joke and let him know that he was dropped into a salad (his RC toy). I don't know if he was able to do it or not. It really is a funny story. I asked him what he said and he just says " I don't remember!" At about 3 or 4 minutes into the call, I motion Von to walk towards the riders meeting. It takes us a few minutes to get to the announcers tower. The whole time, all the racers, fathers, mothers, and track personel are watching Von talking with Ricky.

Now keep in mind that Jeff Layman, the track announcer has been telling people for the last hour that we will be talking to Ricky around 7. He is up doing the riders meeting and announcing that Ricky is on the phone.

...so Von walks up the ladder to the top of the tower (very steep) - the whole time not breaking conversation with Ricky (and EVERYONE watching) holding the phone with one hand while I walk behind him up the stairs so he doesn't fall - (wearing his RC jersey) - and finally, he gives the phone to Jeff for Ricky's short interview. I put the phone on speaker and Jeff asks some great questions and Ricky is superb with the answers. Jeff gets done, Ricky says by to Von and an amazing day for a 7 year old.

Now aside from all this...
I do production for concerts, live remotes, video tapings and many other forms of entertainment, and I have NEVER had one go off this perfect! The phone worked flawlessly, Ricky called when he was supposed to, the contact - Scott Taylor - stayed in touch the whole way....Jeff Layman was the perfect announcer (if we had him at the Nationals each week - we'd be happy) and Von - 7 years old - got to talk to his racing idol!

Ricky was awesome - as far as his message - which I TOTALLY agree with; Only race if it is fun. Of course he talked about other things - Like racing the 450 toward the end of the season, and feeling TOTALLY comfortable with Southwick.

He says he is still having fun and that is awesome. Alot of us here in Florida watched Ricky grow up racing at the tracks that we still race at week in and week out and it's cool that we have a "link" to him from these tracks. It gives us a little hope that greatness can come from our weekly races and tracks!!!

I am indebted to Ricky for making a 7 year old joyously happy.

I think there will be more to this story...not what you are thinking though....

I'll post when it happens...

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
RC is turning into a regular PR machine. :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very nice post, Jay!

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
What, you mean his not the complete jerk that alot of people like to belive? The whole Booing of RC makes me want to never go to another SX.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
Maybe things like this will help redeem himself from all the unneccessary booing from before.

The only reason people seem to boo him is because he wins everything and he switched to Honda. Being that you can't be a pro forever, I would think that going where the money is was a wise decision. Beside, who else besides Jeff Ward stayed with the same team for long? Everyone loves Jeremy but he was dominate and switched brands a few times. I just don't get it.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
The post is great, but I think I missed how this should be titled "RC is a jerk part 2" Of course I'm also having a bad day so maybe I'm just out of it.

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
I saw this post over at MD too and thought it was great. Glad you posted it here.

I also saw film on ESPN 2 of James Sr. giving Bubba a big ol' bear hug when he came off the track after his bike blew up at High Point. Wonder where the post is " James Sr. great Dad" instead of the posts about him being such a loser parent and "mini dad" after the Dallas SX???

All the name calling, judging, etc. of famous people after just one incident or experience with someone is really tired. Guess it just comes with the territory on internet BB's. :think:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Two thumbs up MXDad :) The threads that bash riders used to really piss me off but now I know that they are for the most part coming from people who know nothing about the sport and less about how hard it is to get to the level that these guys are at.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by MXDad

I also saw film on ESPN 2 of James Sr. giving Bubba a big ol' bear hug when he came off the track after his bike blew up at High Point. Wonder where the post is " James Sr. great Dad" instead of the posts about him being such a loser parent and "mini dad" after the Dallas SX???

All the name calling, judging, etc. of famous people after just one incident or experience with someone is really tired.

I couldn't agree more!!

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by MXDad

I saw that too. :) :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I saw it three! Looked like a fine dad to moi. :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Saw it. Liked it. Was not at all surprised by it. If I see Brown hugging Bubba, I will be surprised.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Great story, MX547!

Originally posted by mgorman
Maybe things like this will help redeem himself from all the unneccessary booing from before.

I don't know why he should have to. I've never EVER, in any mag interview or podium interview, seen RC do or say anything that would be unbecoming of a superstar athelete like him or MC. I just don't get it.

The only time I ever hung around for autographs was after a SF Giants game. Will Clark Shouted as he walked to his Nissan 300 ZX "I'm NOT signing... I'm NOT signing". He repeated it over and over until the doors were locked & he peeled out of the parking lot like it was 1:55 am & he needed a drink bad. Kevin Williams ran over one kids foot. No joke. Of course, the kid was stoked & probably never washed the tire mark off the leg of his pant the rest of his life.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
In todays world you are guilty till proven innocent. One person starts a bashing session and the world joins in with out even having a clue as to what's going on. He'll never have to redeem himself in the eyes of those with a brain. Unfortunately that is a different story for the bandwagon hoppers that need the whole world to know their opinions. Seems like the web has made situations like this worse than the media has ever benn able to do.

As far as ball players go, I have never given a hoot about sports that require one ball. College and highschool, maybe, but the overpaid, never.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by mgorman
In todays world you are guilty till proven innocent. One person starts a bashing session and the world joins in with out even having a clue as to what's going on.

Unfortunately that is VERY true in a lot of cases. Now, what do mean by "sports that require one ball" ?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I think the type of behavior descibed by mx547's post should be a normal part of any factory pro's job! Well, it would be if the factory is smart, anyway! Just think how many people heard about this...everyone at the track, everyone they know, all of us on DRN...way good publicity!

RC is being paid not just to ride, but to promote his brand! Otherwise, why pay a rider ro ride?

At the same time, it's a great (ego) boost for everyone involved! A "win win" deal!

And, when it comes right down to it, it didn't really require that much effort. If you paid me what they pay Ricky, I would go out of my way to make kids happy all day long...

I guess to sum up, I am by no means talking negative about the effort RC made, but I just don't think it should be considered "above and beyond the call of duty".

Last edited:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Must be ... Kevin Mitchell. Something tells me he meant Mitchell...

Yup. Thanks. Even funnier is when one of the kids in the crowd was all pumped up, he had just gotten "Butt Bretley's" autograph.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Well at Southwick last weekend, when I was at Team Honda's rig, Ricky comes in from practice and there are several young kids waiting, and they asked him for an autograph and he said, "Let me get a drink of water and I'll be right out and give you an autograph". Well 30 mins later, Ricky still didn't come out of the team trailer and these kids were really disappointed. I left the Honda Team trailer also and never did got back to it.

At least he could of told the truth and said sorry, I can't do it right now, rather than giving them a line of bull.

I did get to say good luck to him when we were walking around the pit area and a person says excuse me and it was Ricky pushing his bike to the track area. So that's twice (once last year in St. Louis, and now this year) that I had to move out of his way so he could get around me.

I didn't almost get run over by team Suzuki rider when I was trying to get out of his mechanics way in a golf cart and then moved directly in front of the rider on his bike that I didn't see.

Everyone came to a dead hault, and I apologized to both the mechanic and rider and we all laughed about it.

Top Bottom