rc is a jerk, part 2

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by motometal
I guess to sum up, I am by no means talking negative about the effort RC made, but I just don't think it shouldn't be considered "above and beyond the call of duty".

I agree, motometal...but the pictures painted in the other bash threads and the ignorant booing....that is beyond the call.

If they paid me what the pay RC, I'd sleep in the same tent with Ivan and Gomer...hell, I'd tie a pork chop around my neck and be the hare in the BigBoyz race at DirtWeek! (wait...I may reneg on the tent thing :scream: )

teggers

Nov 30, 2001
I heard this was posted over here and it was a nice gesture... what Ricky did.

If you are interested... read on....

I have "known" him for years but we rarely talked at the track (we didn't have much to say, I'm 20 years older), but it was nice that he (apparently) remembered an "old" racer. I'm hard to miss (weekly) at the track with the old bald noggin'. I wished him well once when he was sitting in the bleachers at Gatorback when he was about 12 with his brand new knee surgery and leg brace and we joked during sign-up a few times over the years.

Look, Ricky wants to hang with the kids... they are the future of the sport, plus they are just damn fun, (I have a much better time at the track on raceday if Von is racing PeeWee) but he (Ricky) is concentrating on his goal, winning and breaking every record that has ever been set for MX! As a production person dealing with talent before large shows, I can understand the stress of a large performance. ..... You just have to time your "meeting" right.

Me and Von (Von and Me) (Von and I) (I and Von) went to the Atlanta SX and we wanted to talk to Ricky - ONLY! We didn't care about any other rider. The line was huge. It was obvious that this was not the place; Ricky is trying to race, people want ALL of his time, and we will not be a part of adding to this stress! I explained (to Von) that we would run into Ricky again somewhere soon and that Von would be able to meet him then. Von TOTALLY understood once it was explained to him in this way. (Von doesn't like to be disturbed in the last 30 seconds of the start of a moto....) We watched from afar as Ricky talked to his mechanics and started signing autographs. We had no chance + this is not the way I wanted Von to meet his star!

We got to watch him win and look forward to another day.

Sometimes things just work out...
We almost turned around on the way to the track that Weds last week when this all started. We showed up for some (from me) "half-hearted" practice. I heard Bubba was there and went over to say "Hi"!

Bubba and me have had some real battles at Bithlo - "Expert Practice"! I was pulling about a second a lap on him and then I would let off and "let" him catch me in the corners then I would motor away down the straights. I could cream him (1 sec/lap) on my 426 as long as he was on his 80...practice bike....anyway...3 years ago.

The real nice link here was the Fox Boss - Scott Taylor.

Until the time of the story, I have never put a face to Scott. I had heard his name and we have raced around this area for years - kinda together, but never met in person. He was the reason this all happened. I was just talking to Bubba (who's parents babysat Von last year at the Winter Am), and asked "Who are you?" to Scott. It's nice to have the Fox rep know who I was... ie: the tall, skinny, bald guy that races vet classes! We started talking and voila! A 7 year old has part of a dream come true!

You've read the rest....

Wait til the follow-up...not what you might think....

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I can relate to what some of the more "popular" experience. Though I am what most of you serious racers would consider a joke on the track and I'll probably never be asked for an autograph there for my riding abilities I have been bombarded when doing gigs and I imagine it's pretty much the same. It's very flattering when someone wants your autograph but after the umpteenth dozen time it does get to be a hastle if you have other things you need to be doing. I remember many times over the years when some enthusiastic fan would be standing there with pen & paper in hand while I was performing or switching guitars wanting my autograph. When told that I would be glad to do so but at the moment my hands were full most would understand and comply but then there were those that won't take the hint.

Try to put yourself in thier position, it only takes a minute to sign an autograph but usually people want more than just that, they want to rub elbows and feel like they've actually met you and that can take a few more minutes. If you multiply that times a couple dozen then you've spent close to an hour. Then there are the ones that get the autograph but don't leave.

Don't get me wrong, I loved signing autographs but it helps when there is an autograph session specifically for that purpose. RC, MC and the rest are people too and if anyone has ever been in a hi-profile position like they then everyone would understand.

Now I feel like a dork!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
but Jeff, you gotta admit you love it when ZE VEMEN ask for autographs in "special" places!
I wasn't gonna say anything about that cause this is a family board. :debil:

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
I don't want to rain on the RC king for a day parade, but... Ricky is smart enough not to blow off a live broadcast phone call with a 7 year old, big surprise. However, I've seen him blow off 8 and 11 year old when the media wasn't looking and I'm not the only one to see him do it. Sure, he's fast, popular, and will probably be one the greatest MX/SX riders ever, but working on his people, kid, skills wouldn't kill him.

Whoops

Last edited:

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
great post...please remember guys that RC and most other racers like him are under tremendous pressure, cut them some slack!! Put yourself in their position & under their schedules, I'm sure I for one wouldn't be able to hack it :)

matt

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Whoops
However, I've seen him blow off 8 and 11 year old when the media wasn't looking and I'm not the only one to see him do it.

name one that hasn't.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
Maybe its just early but I didn't understand that post :ugg:

It is called irony! ;)

RC is a champ in every sense of the word. We need more like him and less like Deegan IMO.

-jeffd

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Ya know, for being the fastest motocross rider on the planet, and I mean the planet, and Im sure that will show at the MX DeNations, RC is pretty dang humble. Something tells me he'll stay that way.

teggers

Nov 30, 2001
Just an update on this .....

RC was in Orlando last week for the Fox national sales meeting and Von was invited to the riders "ride'. Bubba was there as well as Jeff Emig. All the guys did the "meet and greet" and were excellent all day. The weather sucked and Bubba and Emig still suited up and rode. Ricky hung out in the stands and did the autograph thing.

I am so PISSED now.... We, Von (7 years old, my girlfriends son) and me went into Seminole Power Sports today and I now must buy Ricky Numbers, and Ricky Grips (grey) and Ricky boots(white), and Fox this and Fox that and - OH MY GOD!

I sat Von an a Yamaha TT110 "THAT FIT HIM PERFECTLY" and Von wants to sit on the "Red One"- an XR80.

Damn................

Thanks Ricky. Really.

Top Bottom