Earthpilot

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Rd 2 AMA National Enduro Series - The Cherokee - Greensboro GA - 03.16.03

Surprise Winner In Georgia

The national enduro series has been as predictable as the supercross and outdoor nationals the past two years, with everyone on Monday morning wondering who finished second to Lafferty, or Carmichael? 2003 has started in a much different
fashion as the first two rounds have produced two different winners (Russell Pearson in Rd 1 ) other than the defending five time national champion.

Cool cloudy weather combined with muddy conditions on a course with four tight woods sections connected by gravel roads. The first 5.6 mile section saw Mike Lafferty ( KTM), Barry Hawk (YAM), Robbie Jenks (YAM), and David Lyyke(YAM) jump out to a fast start carding a zero while the rest of the field would lose at
least one point.

The second section is where things got very interesting, as the hosting club inadvertently left out a check entering the section, which allowed many riders to go in several minutes early if they were willing to gamble the chance. This allowed them to gain a huge lead ( several minutes) over their competitors that chose to remain on the schedule. Steve Reed (SUZ) exited the section with a 5 point lead over Lafferty who had the fastest time of those that entered the section on time.

Section three found 7 fast miles of trail where Lafferty once again posted the fastest time and gained back one point on Reed cutting the margin to four points.

The fourth and final section of 20 miles was a combination of tight and open trails, and several hillclimbs. At a check in the middle of the section Lafferty scored a low 4 , followed by Jenks, Hawk, Lykke, and Randy Hawkins (YAM) with scores in the upper
4's. Reed's lead continued to shrink as he scored a 5. Ten more miles of tough trail to the finish saw Lafferty scoring a 9, Jenks, Hawk, and Lyyke with 10's, Hawkins and
Reed with 12.

Lafferty and Reed finished the event tied on points at 50, with the tie-breaker and overall going to Reed by 48 seconds since two of the four tie breaker checks were in the second section which he gambled and entered early paying off with a national event victory.

Overall Results

1. Steve Reed SUZ 50
2. Mike Lafferty KTM 50
3. Mike Grizzle KTM 55
4. Robbie Jenks YAM 56
5. Barry Hawk YAM 56
6. David Lyyke YAM 56
7. Randy Hawkins YAM 58
8. Matt Stavish VOR 68
9. Clay Boering KTM 68
10. Doug Blackwell HON 69

motox4fun

Aug 15, 2001
Reed is going to make some noise on the National Circuit in the coming years!
This guy is as humble and soft spoken as they come. He lets his riding do the talking. His dad told me that Steve was so proud to be asked for an autograph after the Alligator. This guy is a class act and I hope he gets a factory sponser soon because he DESERVES it!

UMAGUMADOG

Mar 22, 2000
You cant realy say Reed gambled, there was a reset coming of the road the milage was where a posible could be knowing there could not be a check on the road and that the milage had to be posted before the check and wasnt at that point he and several other riders (on diffrent rows) went in early. He knew the rules and out smarted lafferty and the others by paying attention, its not always the fastest rider who wins an enduro but the ones who pay attention and do the best timekeeping. you gota know the rules (I know jr knows how he just missed it this time).

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
It's called "Extreme Timekeeping!!"

I wonder who could have given him that idea?? :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Bfaster

Aug 26, 2002
WFO, I know I read that Extreme Timekeeping article somewhere, but I don't remember who wrote it or where. I want to say it was Burleson or someone.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by Bfaster
WFO, I know I read that Extreme Timekeeping article somewhere, but I don't remember who wrote it or where. I want to say it was Burleson or someone.

:yeehaw: HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE :yeehaw:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Magoo; It was published in an obscure little magazine that was the newsletter of the Southern Enduro Riders Association (Stephen is an SERA rider). A Mr. Don Wiseman published this magazine, but I can't recall the name of the publication.

The reason I am so giddy is that I was the author. And that the article was attributed to King Richard Burleson somehow just tickled my funnybone. (Thanks Bfaster.)

I and old, fat, and retired now, but throughout 80's and during the early 90's I was campaigning the SERA circuit to some small degree of sucess. I was never fast enough to compete heads-up with the really talented folks, so I developed what I came to later refer to as "Extreme Timekeeping". This is the practice of riding the possibles to the very limits (and often exceeding the limits) of prudence.

We would make a practice of riding 7 or 8 minutes hot (depending on averages and terrain) in the (almost always fruitless) hope that the host club would slip up just once and let us into a section hot without a check-in.

Great fun; peeking around corners, listening for bikes riding up without stopping, lurking under bushes to try to see ahead, all the while with 5 or 6 minutes of "hot" in your pocket. After a while; we developed an instinct of sorts; I believed that I could actually smell a checkpoint. And yes, we got burned a couple of times.

The "we" that I keep referring to is none other than Stephen Reed, who was sort of my protege' at that time. We rode together during these times of daring-do.

When I heard that Stephen won a National (and beat the big boys) by using these very techniques. . . well . . . I still haven't been able to get the grin off my face. :laugh:

Stephen has far eclipsed any of my meager accomplishments, and he is not done yet; but I am taking great pride in saying "I knew him when!!"

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
Jonny,

We caught you guys many a time trying to pull that stunt (see NOEA). Sometimes it works in a SERA race, but usually in SETRA it is check you in on the first possible.

It paid off for Stephen going in early. That section was hell up to the check in..think Goodman, MS 1985....

I also peeked around the corner from the road and you could see a blue tarp with the check crew standing there. What you did not know was whether or not that was the check in at possible 18.80 or 2 or 3 possibles into the section.

What I do know is that many people were quitting at that check (it was actually at a couple of possibles in at 26mph or 1.3). The check crew were sending the quitters back at to the road to get back to the camp groung against traffic. A nice long road section after the first section had everyone sitting there for 8-10mins before going in. Now if someone was smart enough to stop and ask the people going back to the camp ground where the check was....you could go into the section....ride up and come in on time.

Not accusing anyone of being dishonest. I am just saying that it could have happened. There were B and C riders dropping 1 and 2 where AA's were dropping 4-7.

Stephen is way fast enough to compete with these guys.

The club messed up this one.

Top Bottom