re-packing silencer problem

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I searched the board and didn't find the answer to this, sorry if it's repetitive... but how do you get the end cap off of the FMF turbine core2? My Answer SA has allen bolts that you remove to get the end cap off, and you just pull the baffle out. The TC2 has 2 rivets that hold the end cap on... do I remove these rivets and replace them? If that's the case, that's cool, but I'm going to need to get a rivet gun and don't want to waste the money if that's not what I'm supposed to do. Thank you!!

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
Ya you gotta drill them out. If you dont have a rivet gun then just call a welding shop or some other metal working shop and ask them to shoot a couple of rivets in there.

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
I just repacked my Power Core 2 last week so I think I can help you. You can leave the endcap alone and leave the rivets in. Just remove the bolts from the back of the silencer where the can connects to a pipe which leads to the headpipe. I hope you understand if not just tell me and I will get pics. I had to use a rubber mallet and gently tap on the pipe to remove the core from the can. After cleaning the core with a wirebrush and repacking the silencer, I noticed a huge difference in the sound of the bike. It is alot quiter and I can hear more of the "ring-a-ding" sound from the headpipe. I hope I helped!

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Cool, thanks guys. I went ahead and got a rivet gun and am going to do it. Just wanted to make sure that's how it was done :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I don't know if yours is the same but on mine I had to loosen the bolts and then tap on them a little to dislodge the nuts and then go ahead and remove them. Then I use the Vise Grip tool pictured below to remove the endcap. I just clamp it to the end pipe and tap on the tool with a mallet and she comes apart. On mine I need to remove the rivets to take out the turbine core. And I use the Vise Grip tool on the other end too.

Attachments

• endcap-1.jpg
    endcap-1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 225

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Here is what I use to clean all the spooge up with if anyone cares:

Its a $9 Harbor Freight weed burner

Attachments

• spoogecleaner.jpg
    spoogecleaner.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 149

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Thank you wibby! I was about to come on here and ask how to get the thing apart, mine seems to be stuck. I think I'm going to rig something similar to what you did there....

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I was not a happy camper the first time I tried taking mine apart. I had no idea how it all came apart, especially those nuts and getting the end caps off. That tool makes it a breeze.

I had been putting off doing it again, until I saw your thread. So I grabbed my camera and off to the shed I went. ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
was that an frp torque ring pack in the first pic?
Yup, must be time to clean off the ol' workbench ;)

That weedburner really burns off the spooge good!

I've tried it with a regular propane torch but it didn't have 1/4 the flame this baby puts out :flame:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom