re-shimming 99 YZ250 for woods...

renes

Apr 7, 2002
I want to re-shim the forks for woods riding on my 99 YZ250. The forks really suck. They deflect off rocks and bumps terrible and my arms are really sore at the end of the day. My only other bike I can compare to is my 1994 YZ250. Both bikes I changed the springs to match my weight (about 200 without gear). I had stock valving in the 94, but it felt like a cadillac compared to my 99's forks. I used shimprogram to compare the two and found the 99's valving was 2 to 10 times as resistive to the oil flow.

I am hoping someone out there has a suggestions for compression and rebound stacks for this bike. If so, please let me know.

Also, what should I do about the midvalve? I heard that the shim in contact with the valve body sometimes has a permanent bend in it. I found both of mine had bends. So I flipped them. But I wonder if I should just put in a check valve just to eliminate that variable. I'm doing woods riding so I shouldn't need the midvalve, right?

I don't want to take them in to a pro. I want to do it myself. Thanks for your advise.

Top Bottom