Really dumb question...help me start my bike!!!

Caleb C.

Dec 23, 2008
Ok Im not at all good with these things, I have a 2000 YZ426F and I havent rode it in about 4-5 months. So, I tried to start it the other day...no go, so I got some new gas in it and still cant get it to start even when pulling it. What do I need to clean in the carb or check to get it to start? Im assuming the gas is just all varnished up thats still left in the carb after I drained the old gas. Thanks for any help and please excuse my ignorance!

May 10, 2007
yea clean the carb, and i would check the valves. 4-5 months ago it was summer and want cold. a cold 4t with tight valves will be near impossible to start.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
clean the carb. Most likely the pilot jet is plugged and your hot start plunger is probably stuck open also.

Be sure you do the TDC drill

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Sometimes they just need alittle pursuation after sitting so long. If you've been using premium fuel like you should be, the carb is probably ok. I know you said you put fresh fuel in the tank, but did you think to drain the carb ? Check the valves, throw a fresh plug in it, twist the throtle 2-3 times, with choke out, go through your normal starting proceedure. You can try a bit of gas down the air boot but use a hose so you can feed it right into the carburetor throat. It's a yamy, she'll fire eventualy.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
if it was running fine when you parked then I would check the spark plug and then clean/drain the carb but if it has been any length of time since the bike has been gone over and your taking the tank off you might as well check the valve clearance and service the rest of the bike

Caleb C.

Dec 23, 2008
Ok thanks for the help guys, I'm going to try to look at it tonight and see if I can get it rolling again. Thaks again and Merry Christmas to all!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Spark plugs are cheap, don't check it just to look at it, replace it. If you are rejetting, then you inspect the plug for proper coleration. Did you have the fuel petcock turned off while the bike was sitting?

Top Bottom