really stupid easy newbie questions

wumember

Feb 17, 2003
ok, i need to know like what is jetting.. i've read stuff but i cant fugure out what is the throttle and other stuff , what is like the plug, reading it.. and what to muve first and stuff, i need to gte my bike leanerr where do i start??? thx

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
HI,
Jets are removable orifices in the carburetor that come in multiple sizes, the bigger the hole the richer the mixture, there is also a needle that is tapered with slots in it. The top clip of the needle would put the needle into the jet the furthest, and the bottom clip the least, the furthest down would keep the needle furthest from the jest resulting in a richer mixture…
Plugs, we are referring to the spark plug, the metal/ceramic device located at the top of the cylinder with that thick wire that attaches to it and the ignition coil.

wumember

Feb 17, 2003
ok i thought that was the plug, but to jet do i have to mod the carb??? or what do i have to do???

is it ok to say.. let less oil in.. my problem is that i'm getting lots of spooge on the back of my pipe....

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
you have to disassemble the carburator , the jets usuall are threaded into the carb body, and unscrew out. I would suggest to locate some kind of doccumentation to view before attempting this blindly

wumember

Feb 17, 2003
i have looked at some docs, i just wanted to know some terms and stuff thanks... but do i have to mod the jets??

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
You don't modify the jet, you buy optional one in larger or smaller sizes and replace (unscrew and screw in) the current jet with them. To get a nice education on carburators, go to JustKDX.dirtrider.net in the first post of this forum. Click on Tech Tips, Click on Carb Tuning and read. It has pictures and everything (they even move!).

Gator220R

Jan 29, 2003
You can also go to Kawasaki.com, they have break-down pictures of virtually everything on the bike. might help you to see the assembly/disassembly order.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I wouldn't recommend modifying the jets just for the sake of doing it. Re-jetting is done to "tweak" the bike to your riding style, the terrain you ride in, and the climate, etc.

For example, if you are fouling plugs every time you ride, you probably need to "lean" the carb by moving the clip or re-jetting. On the other hand, if the bike is too lean you will need to make it richer to keep from ruining your motor.

If you ride with some experienced riders, let them watch you ride and have them look at your bike and advise you. Good Luck!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
For leaning the carb, the first thing I would do is move the needle clip up one position (away from the pointed edge of the needle). Do this by unscrewing the top off of the carb. Next, depress the spring and remove the throttle cable from the cap. When the spring and cable is removed, remove the needle from the cap. There will be a small clip on the top of the needle and it will be in one of about 5 clip positions. Assuming you can move it up further away from the pointed tip of the needle and towards the actual cable, move it up one position and reassemble the spring and carb. Run the bike and inspect the plug after running it for a few minutes. If there is no room to move the clip up because the clip is already at the top position, you will need to re-jet the carb. In many cases, you can solve the problem simply by moving the clip on the needle. If it's still too rich and you have room, continue moving it up one position at a time and re-test it.

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
If you want the correct advice go to this site (http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/) and all shall become clear. It`s the best you can do for tips and tricks on everything KDX. Rock On Canadian Dave!

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Go to this thread
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showth...?threadid=62692

and then find canyncarvr's post (about the 12th one down). Click on the link to a discussion w/pictures by R. Rohrich.

Stole this from farmerj, it is a great couple of threads on reading plugs. Make sure you read everything about carb tuning in the CDave's site as suggested here, then make sure you read the threads above to really understand how to read a plug. I had it completely wrong before I read this. :thumb:

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
'Course anyone can take the shortcut. ;) I just found such interesting stuff to look at along the way :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…