Ryche

Mar 27, 2002
Bought me a 88 yz 250 to play with.. needs new rear wheel bearings... bought the bearings, but can't get the rear axle out.. it looks to be one long axle, with a welded nut on the left side, and a removal nut on the right.. well i removed the nut, but couldn't get the axle to slide out.. couldn't even beat it out... is there a keeper in there.. i can turn the welded side quite easily with my fingers around and around, but it wont' slide left at all.. i beat the axle and it seems to just push out the left a-arm .. thats it. .any help would be appreciated.. thanx in advanced.. btw i have a clymer manual coming but not for another week or so..

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I went through this exact situation TODAY. First of all, the previous owner didn't take good care of the bike and the bearings have siezed to the axle. That's not a good thing. First of all you need to get as much WD-40 in there as possible. It will loosen things up, and hopefully help you out. I beat it out with a hammer after a little WD-40 soaking. Ask more questions, I'll try to help

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Years ago i bent my axle on my 89yz250, had to pound out the axle one way, cut w/die grinder, then pound the other way..Went back and forth til it finally came out.. One of the chain adjuster bolt on the swing arm broke, causing the axle to bend.. Hope this helps you out......
Rick

Ryche

Mar 27, 2002
Today.. heheh can't ask for fresher information than that... So it's just a simple axle that should slide out.?????

I guess i 'll buy some WD tomorrow and go soak it.. I can pry out the oil seals pretty easily..

Thanx for the info..

Ryche

Mar 27, 2002
Should i have to go through such torment as cutting it and beating it back and forth, if it's not bent.. atleast the tire turns true.. so i wouldn't thing that it's bent.. just curious..

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I would definately try the wd40 first.. WHen i read your post, it brought back what a pain it was to get my axle out.. Keep an eye out on the chain adjustment bolts though.....
Rick

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
When you take it out, you'll probably find that the axle is about half an inch thicker than it should be (It'll be covered in dirt and rust).

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by yzeater
When you take it out, you'll probably find that the axle is about half an inch thicker than it should be (It'll be covered in dirt and rust).
1/2" inch? Wow, that's something.

Anyway, if you're going to beat it out, you might want to use a brass punch so you won't tamage or mushroom the axle, then you'll really have a problem.

NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
I went through the same thing a couple of months ago....It just takes patience and it will evenually come out....I ended up trying to rush and rounded over the threads of my axle because I was using a regular hammer(and some of my hits out of frustration weren't dead on)....Get as MUCH WD40 in there as possible and try to work it through...
J

Ryche

Mar 27, 2002
Excellent advice guys... im going to go buy a case of wd, heheheh , and go beat that thing out till it gives up, cause im not. hehheheh..

Ryche

Mar 27, 2002
Ok, so i bought the wd and some other penetrator called PB catalyst... supposed to be the best ****. well i soaked that thing, let it sit, soaked, let it sit, beat it, let it sit, soak it, so on and son. you get the picture.. the dam axle wouldn't budge a millimeter... so i called the yamaha shop and they told me to try heating it... so i heated and beat and heated and beat.. .finally i got the thing about an inch.. after beating it for 6 and a half hours, it moved an inch.. .ONE FRICKEN INCH.. my right arm is so weak i couldn't swing the hammer anymore... i don't know what to do now, the dam thing just won't give.. you'd think the bearings would give way at some point.. i litterally used a 20 pound sledgehammer on the thing, but only got an inch out of it.. i can buy a new axle for 63 dollars.. but i would still have to cut both ends and beat it out of the hub... anybody else have any suggestions at all.. ANYTHING.. a bomb, anything..

Ryche..

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
If you beat it out one inch, you could alway go bonzia and cut the end off that is sticking out now and beat it back in. Then the wheel will drop off and you can place the wheel in a press and drive the axle all the way out.
Sounds pretty ugly anyway you try.
Good luck.
Stan

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Maybe try some heat then put some wax on, i had a piston rusted in a cylider once and this method worked.. Good luck
Rick

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Heat is the only thing that MIGHT work along with an hydrolic press. $63 for an axle is going to be cheap if you bust your hub. Unfortunatly, somebody didn't keep their axle greased on a regular basis.

Ryche

Mar 27, 2002
It came out.. finally... After pushing it through that inch, i just worked it back and forth keeping it soaked.. the bearings came out in little pieces.. heheheh.. quite funny... so it has new bearings and it works like a champ.. thanx for all your help guys...

Top Bottom