adckdx

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2003
Got ready to change the rear brake pads today. Got the brake assembly off and it looks like you have to remove two torq bolts to get the pads out. The manual did'nt mention this but it looks like that is the only way to replace them.
Herein lies the problem. The torq bolts seem to be frozen in place. I've tried every kind of lube I can imagine but they still wont budge. I'm scared I'm going to ruin them if I keep trying and then I'll really be up the creek. New assembly cost about $235 from Kawasaki.
Anyone have any suggestions???

ADCKDX

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It's not a torque bolt but a hex head bolt that you use a (6mm?) allen key. I'd try soaking them in some oil. If that doesn't work you can try some heat.

Last edited:

adckdx

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2003
You can use allen wrench or torq wrench. The T40 torq size fits it perfectly you can use it with a ratchet driver or torq wrench.
I've ordered a rear brake assembly off of ebay for $50.00 to use in the meantime. When the new/used one comes is I'll try some of the above suggestions to get the old bolts out.

Thanks for the help.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I didn't know that the T40 and the 6mm Allen were the same. Thanks for the info. I always associate the Torq heads with the star pattern.

adckdx

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2003
Maybe they are not exactly the same size and that's part of the problem. The T-4 worked great on the front brakes. My neighbor borrowed my Allen wrenches and has failed to check them back in (about 2 months ago). I gues it's time to collect them and see.

ADCKDX

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom