jerude

Dec 2, 2004
hi all i just found this site and love it. reading as many posts as possible. ive been having problems with the rear brake on my 97 200 for some time know. ive replaced the pads and rebuilt the master ,bled a bunch of times and the brakes still dont work. they will work right off the truck but after a few minutes they require a pump or two to get anything. also my original suspenion is trashed. should i try just new fork springs first or go for the whole shebang with gold valves?what size springs should i get? i weigh about 250 geared up! ive been riding this bike for 5 years now and gets me everywhere i want to go and rarely complains. thanks in advance for your input

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'bled a bunch of times'

Using a vacuum unit? If not, do that.

Pads replaced with what? 'H' model brake sets come as an 'assembly' that consists of backing plates and a fiber spacer. IF you have this sort of setup on your '97..and tried to transfer those pieces to your new pads (aftermarket pads do not come with the extra pieces), you may not have them positioned properly.

What condition are your brake pins in?

Run yourself thru the racetech spring rate calculator to get a ...well...a spring rate. I believe mx-tech has one, too. Used to, anyway. I haven't checked their site out for awhile.

You will get a bigger return from your $$ with a properly sprung (and properly setup suspension..what's your sag? Bet it's not right!!) bike than from a revalved bike. Not that revalving isn't a good thing to do..it's just that respringing will give you a larger return (imo).

Race tech's recommendations are usually a bit on the stiff side.

You need a different shock spring, too.

Cheers!

Last edited:

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
When you say after a couple of minutes, do you mean of riding or stopped. If the brakes only go away after riding, check the wheel bearings and rotor for excessive runout that is forcing the brake pads apart.

Top Bottom