Rear Shock

jean1steve

Jan 20, 2003
Can someone tell me why the rear shock has to charged with nitrogen and not air and what is the recomended PSI for it .

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Nitrogen doesn't change volume with heat build up.
I can't help you with the pressure question.

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Pressure is usually between 140 and 180 depending on the type of shock and the size of the bladder.

shed

Dec 9, 2001
N2 does change volume when heated, but less than air which usually will have a large water content.

btw my rear shock ran at a maximum of 50 deg Celcius during racing at the w/e, ambient was about 15. (I temperature stickered the reservoir)

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
btw my rear shock ran at a maximum of 50 deg Celcius during racing at the w/e, ambient was about 15. (I temperature stickered the reservoir) [/B][/QUOTE]

Shed! what did you use for this! or where can i purchase this Temperture sticker!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
A number of people DO run air in the shock. [Can't name names or they might be arrested by the suspension police] IF you have a bladder type shock and inject air from your compressor after the tank has cooled and most of the moisture has settled out you will not notice any difference. As long as the pressure stays somewhere around that specified [usually 175] you're good to go. The purpose of that pressure reallly has little to do with damping --it's there to keep vapor bubbles from forming in the oil as it moves rapidly through the valving [cavitation]

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…