rear shock rebuilding help needed

bonecrush

Aug 17, 2009
my brother in law and i have recently opened a dirtbike and atv repair shop in wv and noone in this area know how to rebuild rear shocks. i have the know how but would like to find specs on nitrogen and how to set up rear shock for different size riders if anyone can help please let me know thanks

fred :p

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
different sized riders need different size springs. The valving in the shock determines how the shock reacts to different riding environments.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Doesn't Mitchell's or Alldata have something for motorcycles? Seems like a repair shop would sort of have to have one, or a really extensive library of service manuals. Where do you pull your torque specs and such from?

bonecrush

Aug 17, 2009
ill check on them we get our specs from manuals but i want to know what size springs for what size riders and stuff like that

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The manual should walk you through the procedure of spring selection. Really all you need to do is take a couple sag measurements.

enduro250

Aug 13, 2009
I would sort of like to know a similar thing and how a shop determines the valving when you give them rider weight, bike weight, riding style etc and how they determine shim qty, thickness and OD? is there just a mathematical formula or do they just take a guess and think 'oh these shims should work for this rider' and its all bit of trial and error? i know how valving works but i dont know how you correlate rider weight, style and bike weight etc to a set of shims? I know Race tech has a digital valving search so i assume there is a forumla to calculate the shims just as there is when you calulate the shock springs using lever ratio, swing arm measurements and rider/bike weight and sag etc

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
You're going to have to learn on your own bikes.Parts Unlimited ect have the regulator for the nitrogen and the local welding gas company can supply the cylinders.Get a test track set up and keep notes on each change you perform and what it does.I know that's not the answer you want but if you want to learn suspension that's the only way short of getting a job at a suspension shop.

MX-Tech is a site sponsor here and they sell shims,seals and the other stuff you'lll need.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Get 30 some years of experience working with suspension set ups, or do the people in your area a favor, get hooked up with Jeremy at MX Tech. If he does not have a shop near you, maybe he needs a friend?

Top Bottom