Rear sprocket technical question

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
If I go from a 52 tooth rear sprocket to a 48 tooth rear sprocket, which of the following applies:

I do not need to change the chain because the diatmeter is still the same OR

I do need to change the change length.

a smaller tooth rear sprocket will cause the rear tire to spin slower or faster? OR

a larger front sprocket will case the rear tire to spin slower or faster?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
For every tooth on the rear sprocket, add or take away 4 links in the chain. A bigger rear sprocket will make the back wheel turn less revolutions at the same engine RPM but will get there faster, a smaller rear sprocket will increase the top end speed but give less quickness getting there.
A bigger front sprocket will make the bike faster but not quicker.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
less teeth front = more acceleration and lower top speed
more teeth front = less acceleration and higher top speed
less teeth rear = less acceleration and higher top speed
more teeth rear = more acceleration and lower top speed
1 tooth down in the front = 2+ teeth up in the rear

I "believe" you can generally go 1 tooth down in front and/or 2 teeth up in the rear and make up the difference using your slack adjuster... At least this has been my experience on street bikes (should be same theory in dirt bikes even though they have much more chain slack)...

If you are indeed wanting to lower your acceleration and increase top speed (not sure why... street use??), then in theory you should be able to go up 1 in front, and down 2 in the rear... That should use about as much chain as you started with but give a ratio close to what your shooting for... Any experts agree??

- BA

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I had to retype my response cause Okie tripped over the chord and unplugged DRN for a minute. :laugh:
YamaB said:
If you are indeed wanting to lower your acceleration and increase top speed (not sure why... street use??), - BA

This guy is on a CR500, I bet he could gear it anyway he wants and that thing will pull. Those things scare me :ugg:

ononewheel

Nov 4, 2003
I have just ordered 8 new rear sprocket for my bike all different teeth. Something like 44-52 I aint sure. Will all these sprockets work with the chain im using at the moment?

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
We just dropped 1 tooth on the front and added 6 teeth on rear and only needed to add 2 links. Jeff may have it backwards. I'd estimate 1 link every 3 teeth.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
MrLuckey said:
How did you come up with that?
I was told by the dealer and it worked for me. :think: Maybe it's not the case in every situation but if you make me mad I'll bring the entire PA system to DW and set it up next to you for spite. :joke:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom