Rear suspension linkage - grease

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I've been reminded in a couple threads about greasing the rear linkage for a 03 KDX220 I've been putting it off, but I know I should do it. Can anyone provide a little more info on the sequence of what needs to be removed in order to do this job. Are any special tools needed?

Doug

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
No special tools. Just some wrenches. Take off the back wheel. Take apart the linkage and remove the swingarm. Clean all the bearings and pack them full of waterproof synthetic grease. Put it all back together. It took me about 8 hours being pretty thorough. Grease your steering bearings too. That's even easier. It's only about a 1 hour job.

Tom L.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't need to take the wheel off...unless 'rear linkage' includes wheel bearings. Well, and/or swingarm stuff.

Put the thing on a stand so the rear wheel is just touching. Take off the 'stuff'. Clean it. Pack new grease in. Put it back together.

A bit more on 'stuff': You will want to remove the unitrack arm altogether for easier access. It attaches at three points..the swingarm, the frame and the shock. The swingarm connection is thru the pull rods.

Don't bother with the top shock mount. There isn't a bearing there to mess with.

When it comes to reassy, make sure the pull rod bolt shoulders are thru the pull rod. They are kind'a short......it's easy to tighten the pull rod against the shoulder of the bolt especially with the seals full of grease.

It will tighten up to spec. Then the first time you ride it, it will dislodge from the shoulder edge and the linkage will be slopping around, wallering out the pull rods and damaging the bolt shoulder in the process.

Getting to the swing arm bearings is easier with the wheel off. Just take it off, save some time.

Use the best grease you can get. Your basic one-each moly-di-sul chassis grease won't do the job. A good waterproof marine application bearing grease is probably ok. I use some super-d-duper stuff given to me by my riding buddy..hydotex parasyn 70. It's the only grease I've used that keeps the bottom shock mount bearing good from one grease job to the next. No, I've not tried dozens of types..but several. It's purple (ain't it purty?) to boot! (get it..purple? super-d-duper? Thassa joke, son!)

No, no special tools required.

Torque to spec on reassy!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
How long do you think it will take for the average mechanic to do? I am thinking about doing it, I am not sure the last time it was done. I want to do it know but I think I am going to hold off until winter to mess around with it. Any Ideas on what I should do?
Ben

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Do what?

Shock linkage? Maybe 1/2 an hour.

Swingarm? Maybe a bit longer.

Both considering you know what you're doing....don't have any problems. A pivot bolt that you can't get out of the swingarm, a lower shock bearing that's trash, a pivot works kit installed that you lose a pin out of....things like that might add a few hours! ;)

In order for there to be no problems, the bike most certainly has to have had a regularly scheduled maintenance done on it. If your bike has not had such maintenance, expect problems.

Example: I replaced two lower shock bearings in a six month time span, having greased them twice in that time period.

Have fun!! ;)

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Thanks for the reply, I am going to regrease/replace my bearings this winter, I might as well wait until the seasons over before I take apart my bike again.

Ben

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom