SamVT

Apr 1, 2003
I own a 1987 KDX, and I have emptied the rear canister of oil and can not find out the exact amount to put in? Also how many PSI should I put in, I hear that it is not much. Also how many PSI in the front suspension. Thanks again

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. The rear canister is not for oil (so you can't empy it of oil). It's to hold the bladder that holds the nitrogen that pressurizes the oil in the shock (that jack built?) largely to prevent cavitation.

Likely that's what you meant.

There is a shock service section in the service manual. I'd suggest you (at least) get one to read up on it.

There's considerably more to changing the oil in your shock than taking it apart and dumping some oil in. There is a write-up on the procedure on the justkdx site..Note the 'every kdx rider should read this' thread stuck to the top of this forum. It lists the web adx.

Primarily, it is imperative that there be no air in the shock when you're done (Notes on that in the above thread). Also that the bladder be in good condition and installed properly preferably with the suggested lubricant.

re: psi
Around 165. 'Air' is generally not considered a great idea. Some riders use it. Shock pumps are available (around $35 or so) that will supply that kind of air pressure if that's your choice....unfiltered, hydrated, corrosive air. ;) yum!

Sometimes a shop will pressurize your shock after you service it. Sometimes they won't. They don't want to put 165psi in a shock body to find that the clips aren't in the right place (and it goes p-o-p!). Might have been a good idea to get that sorted out before you took it apart. Just a thought.

re: psi (again)
In the front? You are pressurizing your forks.....because??????? They run at atmospheric pressure. Bleed them once in awhile to keep them that way. They tend to buildup pressure with use (dependent more or less on the fluid used, temperature, style of riding and such).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom