evinT

Mar 5, 2004
I'm not exactly new to riding; however, I am new to maintenance problems (especially suspension). It seems that the only working component in the rear shock of my 89 kdx 200 is the spring. All it does is bounce. I have no idea how to, or even if I can, refill the reservoir. What exactly should I do?
Thanks,
Evin

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Has it been like this for a while? I ask because if there is no damping at all, there must be no oil in there. Perhaps there is a leak on the seal head and it is most likely what caused all the oil escaped. If there is no oil in the shock, the internal wear increases dangerously and it could ruin alot of expensive parts. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm prety sure at this point there is more to it than filling the reservoir with nitrogen.

evinT

Mar 5, 2004
NO HAND said:
Has it been like this for a while? I ask because if there is no damping at all, there must be no oil in there. Perhaps there is a leak on the seal head and it is most likely what caused all the oil escaped. If there is no oil in the shock, the internal wear increases dangerously and it could ruin alot of expensive parts. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm prety sure at this point there is more to it than filling the reservoir with nitrogen.

evinT

Mar 5, 2004
It's been like that for about a month. And, I do a lot of riding. If it's oil and seals, how do I go about repairing that? And, where do I get it refilled w/ n2?

thanks

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
If you find a suspension shop in your area, they will have a nitrogen rig for sure. They will be able to take a look at the shock and give you a better idea of what needs to be changed and see if you find it easy enough to do it yourself. I'm more familiar with late MX model shocks. I'm quite sure your shock should be pretty much the same. I'll give you a link to help you. It's in the MX-Tech (www.mx-tech.com) website :http://www.mx-tech.com/downloads/KYB_shock.pdf

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I had a shock on an 86 yz250 do the same thing. The shaft was damaged and had to be repaired. The damaged shaft let the oil and nitrogen leak out (something like that). all in all, it was over $300. It worked much better afterward.......

Top Bottom