njkx

Apr 13, 2004
when i adjust my chain on my kx 250 i can never get the wheel lined up properly. if I line up the marks on the axle blocks the tire seems very close to the chain and my chain is chewing up my tire slightly. Does anyone know if this is normal on a kx? when i line the wheel up in the middle of the swingarm by eye, the chain and sprocket seem crooked. it is possible the rim is bent slightly.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
the chainline should not be cocked, and the chain should not hit the tire... something is bent or tweaked... swingarm, frame, motor mounts, axle.... can anyone think of others?.... I don't think the rim being bent would cause that (unless it only hits in one or two spots.... then the rim is definately bent, bu tit may not be all of your problem)... the rim is easy to check... easier than the others.... place a pencil (or other device) on your swingarm and push it in towards the rim.. spin the wheel... if the distance between the pencil and rim changes, the rim is bent

Check it all... something aint kosher

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The adjuster marks on swingarms are often off. Never trust them.

When you adjust for alignment, you also need to keep in mind that you need proper tension on the chain. This means that you may have to make several attempts and checks to get both proper.
Take your time and make sure your sprockets are in line and that you have precise tension on your chain.

http://best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com/sprocket_care.htm#sprocket-alignment

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You are quite welcome, sir.

Top Bottom