Ark_220

Apr 1, 2003
Use a socket that fits the diameter of the outer race to drive them in. Make sure when you start that you get it aligned correctly. Put them in a zip lock back and stick them in the freezer to.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ha! The things you take for granted!!!

I didn't say, 'Wrap 'em up first'.....before freezing them. It didn't occur to me that anyone would consider putting them in the freezer without a protective wrap.

A 'frost free' freezer would be especially hard on a bearing during a cool down process. You've seen what happens to things in such a freezer during the heated 'defrost' cycle? HUGE condensation going on.

...which is why 'frost free' for a deep freeze is such a loser.....

Anyway...yes, DO protect the bearings from moisture when you put them in the freezer!!!

Gerg

May 7, 2002
In doing all the bearings in my '97 220 this spring, the best/easiest method I found was to have the bearings in the freezer, and starting them in with a 6" bench vice. That way, you can get the bearings lined up properly by applying SLOW pressure with the vise. Once they're heading in straight, you can go like gangbusters pressing them in flush with the vise. Then, get the right sized socket, hold it against the bearing (on the outer race, of course!) and drive them home with the vise. I found that the even pressure from the vise was way better than pounding on them with a hammer. I also had a small ruler with millimeters on one side, and used that religiously to get the bearings to the specified distance from the edges. It's easy to press in a little at a time with the vise, stop, check the distance, and press more if needed. It took 2 people to do the first couple, but after that, I was able to do it by myself.

Granted, this method doesn't actually work for the wheel bearings, since you can't fit the wheel in a vise. However, I bought one of those workbenches from Sears that has a vise top (for holding wood, etc. while cutting) and that had enough strength to push the bearings in. That definitely takes 2 people, though.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
The best way I've found is to go and borrow my buddy's bearing driver kit!
Or better yet I've got another buddy that has a huge hydraulic press, it must have an 8" cylinder on it.

And oh yes, the freezer too, but nobody told me about the ziploc baggy!

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Thanks every one, guess I will replace them before the next enduro in May. They have just the slightest slack, but better safe than sorry :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom