sotchong

May 2, 2005
I know this is been talked on here before but I thought I would stress the importace of it again. If you havent done this already do it asap. I just tore the rearend of my 05 200 that i maybe ridden 50 miles on and the bearings were bone dry and already starting to rust and get damaged. I just wanted to put this out there so its not fogoten about. :bang:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
yankeefan4life72 said:
how exactly do you do this?Do youi have to re pack the bearings?or is there a fitting?

Grease fittings are ok to use in a pinch, but doing a complete dis-assemble/clean/grease as needed is by far the best. A good repair manual will help with this project.

Mully

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Most bikes don't have grease fittings (though my husky does:)). You have to take the rear suspension linkage/swingarm and shock off to manually re-pack the bearings. If you are carefull you can usually install grease fittings to save work in the future - I set up my old 93 KX with fittings several years ago with good results.

good luck

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
sotchong, I still need to regrease my new KDX linkage. I have about 50 miles on her and plan to do it within the next 2 weeks. I just recently did my 02 KX250 (purchased 8-28-03) and it looked like brand new inside. It didn't have much grease, so I'm glad I did it. I was just wondering if you pressure wash your bike? I don't pressure was my bikes because I believe that accelerates bearing failures.

May 26, 2005
I'm glad I saw this thread today :) Last night I was putting new chain and sprockets on my bike and thought about greasing the rear end. I decided against it at the time. After reading this thread today at work I thought better of my decision and tore it all back down a few minutes ago and re-greased everything. Thanks for the tip. It wasn't bone dry in there but kawasaki obviously uses a very small amount during initial assembly. My bike is an 03 and been through 2 owners. Neither of them have touched it maintenance wise other than cleaning the filter and oil changes. The front axle had never been out :| The rear axle at least had grease on it as the only part ever replaced was the rear tire LOL. I've had to buy a filter, chain & sprockets, a front tire and brake pads to get it in shape. Looking foward to my first Hare Scramble with it in 2 weeks :aj:

sotchong

May 2, 2005
sotchong, I still need to regrease my new KDX linkage. I have about 50 miles on her and plan to do it within the next 2 weeks. I just recently did my 02 KX250 (purchased 8-28-03) and it looked like brand new inside. It didn't have much grease, so I'm glad I did it. I was just wondering if you pressure wash your bike? I don't pressure was my bikes because I believe that accelerates bearing failures.

Yeah I pressure wash my bike after every ride but I am very
carefull not to spray directly into the any area around the swingarm so i dont blow out all the grease.

sotchong

May 2, 2005
One more thing when you guys to the re grease make sure all of your seals are there. When I did my on one side where the dogbone connects to the frame and shock i was missing a set of seals. The bike is brand new and never been apart so they were never put on from the factory. I only found that out when we took my buddies 05 200 apart to grease his bearings and saw that he had seals where mine didnt. So really pay close attention to that as well. Not sure if the local kawi dealer will do anything about it so I will have to fork money to buy the seals that are missing. :bang:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom