DIRTBUM

Feb 20, 2000
Hello
Still working this big bore mod on my 02' 400MXC. Have attempted to reattach the cam chain by using the motion pro chain tool. The problem is that the tool was for big main drive chains. I attempted it any way and did manage to get the chain reattached but do not know how to check the realiabilty. I must say that the pins do not look like the stock pressing. Is there a way to check the realiability or do I just run it and hope. Is there another way to attach he chain without using a press (they cost 140.00 and are hard to find)? This has been the most complicated part of the mod and I am considering checking to see if a shop might do this for me...Thanks for any help..See-ya

flea

Oct 8, 2001
remember to peen the head of the rivet. Motion pro makes an "all purpose tool that includes a peening setup for the cam chain.

CA Dave

Nov 20, 2001
I used the Motion Pro chain tool on my cam chain without any problems. The tool will deform the link pin ends so they are about .015" larger in diameter. Check the diameter with a micrometer or dial caliper. There is no way that link plate is going to come off when the pins are deformed that much. I also checked the clearance between the chain sideplates with a feeler gauge to be sure the new link had the same side clearance as the other links.
CA Dave '02 520EXC

Top Bottom