RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
I need to rebuild my 84' KDX200 rear shock, is it that hard ? Also, has anyone that has done this before, can I just go to a bearing/seal shop and get my seals ?
Or maybe, is it even worth it, or take it to the shop and have it done ? If I could get it done for $50-75 I would probably have someone else do it.
What do you think,
Thanks,
Raz

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I was looking at how to do that in my manual the other night and it didn't look too hard to do. But first you need to buy the seals and oil for it. You'll need two of those funky looking tools to adjust the spring preload (adjust it fully loose so you can remove the spring). After you get it together you'll have to have a shop charge it with nitrogen to 170psi.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I had a local guy rebuild mine and it was very reasonable. Labor charge was $75. Parts were $91. My piston had cracked in 4 and contaminated the seal head. To me well worth the satifaction that it was right. The only thing I have not done was rebuild my own rear shock. Getting the N2 charge right without the proper tools is hard. I guess you could just rebuild it and then go have someone charge it for you thoguh.

AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi, I have the same problem.. my shock has oil on the piston rod and thus I guess the seals are on there way out. I've had a look at the parts diagrams on the kawasaki.com site and it shows only 1 'o' ring and 1 bushing yet my manual shows 2 of each ? I can get parts easy here in the UK so will probabally have a go myself. If anyones interested you can see my bike being rebuilt on my website here www.550-spyder.co.uk click on the KDX link in the sidebar and I'll put some pics of the rebuild on too when I do it.
Cheers,
Andy

AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi, well have got my shock in bits and found that the seals in the seal block are u/s as well as the piston rod being scored, as there not available from Kawasaki UK I've contacted a local rebuilder who have them made and it's gonna cost £150 all in, reassembled oiled & gas filled. So, it'll be in the post next week.
Cheers,
Andy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom