Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Red Bud - July 6th - New Pictures

Looks like my July 4th weekend has been booked at my wife's friend's cottage in Irish Hills. It's on a lake, so that will be fun for a few days, but I noticed that it's only a short 2 hour drive from the cottage to Buchanan, MI.

Never been to Red Bud, but hear from Fred T that it's a cool race to watch. Figured I'd sneak away from the cottage with Zach and go watch the top dogs race on Sunday.

Anybody else planning on going?

http://www.redbudmx.com

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
That Smit-Dog is a slydog! Wish I could be there but I aint that slick....

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Most likely for me. If im healed up by then (which I dought will be the case) Ill be racin at Wardys. Ill decide around July 1st

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Smitty, What Lake will you be staying on? You're just around the Conner from me. Maybe we could get together and do a little skiing behind my boat?

V-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 13, 2000
Smit,
Freddie T and myself are going to be there 1st thing Friday morning with both the "Taj" and the "Mover" for the whole weekend. Napper and myself hung with Freddie last year and had a blast. Look us up, we'll be the ones in the air conditioning!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by 70 marlin
Smitty, What Lake will you be staying on? You're just around the Conner from me. Maybe we could get together and do a little skiing behind my boat?
I don't know the name of the lake (there are a ton of them out there), but do remember that it's a few miles west of MIS and a party store. Near as I can tell, the lake is south of M-12, and just west of Silver Lake highway, if that sounds familiar.

But since I'm skipping out for the race on Sunday, I'll be sticking around the cottage for the weekend. Thanks for the offer though!

Originally posted by V-Man
Freddie T and myself are going to be there 1st thing Friday morning with both the "Taj" and the "Mover" for the whole weekend. Napper and myself hung with Freddie last year and had a blast. Look us up, we'll be the ones in the air conditioning!
I'll have to look you guys up. So will your rigs be lined up next to #22 or #4?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/68899382/68900049PHowwW

Where do you suggest parking/spectating? The infield of Larocco's Leap?

JANDERSON

Oct 7, 2001
If I was you I'd stay mobile during the race. It gets packed but you can get on the fences during motos. I've been going for years! Now my 20 y/o twins go w/me, it's a major blast. You can't get the "how fast they really go" from the TV and I think it beats the heck out of supercross. Bring a cooler of food and drinks, it's better than buying and tastes better. I do have a favorite spot, over near the small bleachers (opposite side from the leap) down in the valley. You can see more varied action down there from 3 sides. You should definitely go, everybody should!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sounds like Sand lake but could be Devils lake. Hey it would be curb service & the whole family would be welcome for the fun & games. All I need to know where the launch is?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit
Look for the rigs next to the Stadiom Track. (The smaller track to the right of where the etrance is) I park there every year so I can watch the Am's race on Friday and Sat night and do some grilling. On Sunday we'll be out early at the big track hopefully in the main grandstand top row. After the race we grill and let all the crazy ya hoos leave and pull out when the dust clears.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by Fred T
Smit
Look for the rigs next to the Stadiom Track. (The smaller track to the right of where the etrance is) I park there every year so I can watch the Am's race on Friday and Sat night and do some grilling.

And what great races they are! Some of the best motocross races I've ever seen have happened on that track. They'll start practice at 3 pm and start racing at 5, then go straight 'til 1 or 2 am! LOTS of fun! :yeehaw:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Zach and I were there on Sunday from about 1:00-5:30pm. It was hot! Tried Fred T's and V-Man's cell phones, but no answer. With all the people there, I wasn't surprised that we didn't run into anyone.

We moved around quite a bit and saw some action from just about every vantage point. Our favorite spot was on the south side of the track in the woods (shade :thumb: ). Up against the fence, we'd occasionally get a face full of roost mist or a thumper exhaust blast. You could get that close!

Huge difference watching RC and Bubba accelerate through a tight, rutted, downhill hairpin turn, while most others were braking hard and and accepting whatever line they could. I hope Bubba moves to the 250 class soon. Watching him and RC go head-to-head would be some great racing. I believe that Bubba was something like 10th near the start, and within a few laps had a huge lead. He even fell after a washout in a tight turn, got up and still had a sizable lead.

Sorry we didn't run into anyone, but it was a cool experience watching them race outdoors like that.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by 70 marlin
... Sounds like Sand lake but could be Devils lake.
Marlin - It was Silver Lake. The cottage was near a place called Bernies, and close to the Town & Country motor sports dealer (and Artesian Well Pub).

The water was too rough to ski, but we took the kids tubing. Also, the rumor around the lake is that we won the pontoon float parade! The theme was Hawaiian, complete with palm trees, Don Ho, leis, grass skirts, and luau girls!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Never been on that one. Sounds like you had lots of fun! I know that conner all too well :<)

Top Bottom