zrenkz

Apr 21, 2003
just wanted to know if the kdx has any type of restrictor fitted to the inside of the reed block? my 97 has a plastic type block device white in colour nicley tucked in there!never seen this before has anyone else ?any way if l remove this thing do l have to change the size of the main jet?don't know what size is in there at this time but will find out soon.is there anything else l have to adjust to compensate for the extra airflow comming in.l'm also inst. boyessen reeds.thanks

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
That piece is there to shape airflow and reduce intake volume, netting higher intake velocity and stronger vacuum pulses at the carb.

Since you mentioned jetting; proper jetting will net you better results than removing it.

zrenkz

Apr 21, 2003
l had a look see at the main jet and it's a 160 which l think is standard anyway and the needle pos. is on 3 . do you know what will be if l remove this device ie;performance down or up?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
gday down there... i asked the same question about 6months ago and the general reply was "LEAVE IT ALONE".. with that in mind i left it alone so i would suggest the same thing...Enjoy and take care

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
..and don't put it back in upside down, either!

It does fits that way just fine......

Also, please do check the 'every kdx rider should read...' thread at the top of this board. There are answers there to your jetting questions.

zrenkz

Apr 21, 2003
thanks guys ! l called a dealer today and he said definatley leave it alone !l have to go and put the bike back together now ,have a big ride planned this week end, hopefully l have no problems.will most likley ask u guys more questions when l get back see ya ! will have a read on that thread canyoncrvr l'm sure l'll learn something thanks again guys !

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
A quick question for CANYN...... Do you know how much of a power decrease inproper installation would cause. As i had reedblock out and didnt really notice if i put it in upside down. I pretty sure its in the right way because it lined up with the carbys outlet. Also it seems to go good so i think im fine but was just wondering if its really a noticable difference...As always Thanx heaps

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
WHEW!!! I'm glad the dealer agrees with us! ;)

re: power decrease

'...because it lined up...'

It will line up whether it's upside down or right side up.

Throttle response will stink! You don't have to take it all apart to find out. If you take the carby out of the boots and look into the intake, you should be able to see a smooth transition to the reeds. If you're looking at the 'face' of the phenolic block, it's in upside down.

re: can the DFII too?

Yep! It requires rather stern application of large amounts of force from a too big hammer, though!

Mine is in right.....although when jeremy puma passed me at the last hare scramble (Hey..I was only on sweep duty!) I thought I was going backwards anyway!!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
kay dee xer,
just had my reeds apart, theres a notch on mine so there is no way it can be put in wrong. yours should have this also but maybe it doesnt.

carver,
just ordered some df2 reeds any advice on installation? do they replace the whole stock reed cage, surely the white thing doesn't go in also. never saw any pics of the carb side of the df2.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
While we're on the subject of that white plastic block; has anyone noticed that theirs rattles around in there a little bit? I'm wondering if I should try to "stick" it in place with some fuel proof sealant so it doesn't rattle around. This isn't a performance issue, just curious.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
89kdx
'What we have....is failure to communicate'

You're not going to put DFII reeds on a stock block. They fit ONLY on a DFII reedblock! The white phenolic oem air-bender is not used with the DFII reed cage.

Any reference to a 'DFII' is a reference to the DeltaForce II reed block assembly which includes the cage and the reeds. You use the oem intake boot.

know: rattle

There isn't going to be any rattle when you put six bolts through it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom