Reed Cage Question

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Is there a right way and a wrong way to install a reed cage?
There is a tab on the cage frame, the manual says to put the cage in with the tab facing left, the picture in the manual shows the tab facing right (looking from the back towards the front).
I think when I took it out, the tab was facing right, but I didn't pay attention... :(
2000 KDX 200

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
The way to tell is to hold up the carb boot and see if it looks right, either you will see right through, or if it is wrong the white plastic piece will obstruct the air path.(don't ask me how I know:)

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I think my tab is to the left (facing front), so you can push on it to get the cage out. It looks that way on patsfish, but it's a little blurry. Anyone else?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As strider said...the cage and the phenolic block only fit (correctly) one way. You can fit them the other way, and as I found out....'er...uh...I mean as he found out (freudian slap there) your bike will run for diddle, throttle response will be awful.

You determine the correct way exactly as strider said, too. Look thru the assy (boot, reed block), turn it around the other possible way and look again. The correct way will be obvious.

A BTW...the DFII has a fit along the same lines. It would seem reasonable to install it with the ID tab 'up', but that it won't fit that way too well (likely). It should be installed with the ID tab down. (This doesn't appear applicable to the thread, but I put it here for a reason)

The attached pic shows the DFII upside down from the way it fits..but this way you can SEE the ID tab I'm talking about.

Attachments

• DF2_2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Of course...I went with the "other" way. I have a few 4 letter words in mind right now...

Thx for the help :thumb:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thks good buds, your thee best !

....each four letters a piece! ;)

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
LOL Hey CC is that a pic of your DF2 (KDX) cos unless I'm mistaken my reeds are 3 petal? rather than 2 petal in the pic. Thats if they're even called petals??? I could also be wrong.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, it's a DFII in the pic...not mine.

RE: 'My reeds are three petal..'
Meaning your oem reeds? Yes, they (oem KDX 'H' reeds anyway) are three petal..three on the top, three on the bottom.

The DFII has two on the top, two on the bottom..............but there are two cages stacked atop each other for a total of eight petals. Reed tip area is greatly increased. That's a large factor in its performance factor.

BTW, the tab that started this thread is indeed on the left (shifter) side of the bike. And, yes, there is a picture in the manual referencing the removal of the cage that shows the thing upside down. NIce of 'em to do that, 'eh?

The manual also clearly states on install to mount the cage with the tab to the left. And, again, if you put the carb boot up to the cage and look thru from the carb's point of view the correct orientation will be clear.

The orifice (entry) of the phenolic part of the cage (the white resin/plastic piece) is off-center because the carb doesn't mount even-steven to the cylinder...it's to the left of center also. That's the purpose of the white part...to direct/smooth the incoming charge around the 'corner' into the cylinder.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
No probs CC. I finally got the V-Force2 over to Australia but I was so eager to put it in I didn't really look at it too closely. I was sorta finkin' that maybe they were similar to the pic attached. As I said though I'm probably mistaken. Thanks again CC.

Attachments

• threepetal.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 163

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
While I don't sit at the loading dock of MotoTassinari to check all their outgoing packages, I don't think they make a 12-petal valve for the KDX.

What you have pictured goes in a KX for one...certainly others, but not the KDX.

There is a DeltaForceIII, but not an application for the KDX that I've seen.....and I don't know that it's a 12-petal valve either.

There may be some confusion on the whole issue.....the last time I ordered replacement reeds for my DFII, I got 3-petal reeds. That was a mistake on the part of the person @MT that took the order over the phone.

..which is why if you have a question other than of a general nature you should ask to talk to Jeff (tech support) at MotoTassinari. He knows what goes where.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm not...which is why all the caveats were noted!

Oh...you've maybe heard of fitment problems with the DFII? Maybe 'they' were trying to fit the 12-valve in??

If reed tip area is good..12 reeds must be better'n 8!

Make it fit!!

...where's my angle grinder...........

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…