04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
im lookin to get new reeds for my 04 200. im lookin at boyesen whats the differnce between the power and pro other than 40 dollars? where do the power reeds add power. is there any drop anywhere. should i get the 12 tooth too when i get the reeds is it worth the top speed loss? the extra torque is prolly nice though
thanks
chris

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Check out boyesen.com and click on the different types of reeds to see what they do. I would suggest buying the v-force 3 reed cage, they just came out and offer a pretty good performance upgrade.
Also, it seem the pro series are basically the same as dual, but the pro have a carbon fiber top reed, which gives them better throttle response. While the dual have a fiberglass, which lasts longer than the carbon fiber.

Last edited:

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
04kdxchris said:
im lookin to get new reeds for my 04 200. im lookin at boyesen whats the differnce between the power and pro other than 40 dollars? where do the power reeds add power. is there any drop anywhere. should i get the 12 tooth too when i get the reeds is it worth the top speed loss? the extra torque is prolly nice though
thanks
chris

I have the power reeds and a 12T counter sprocket. I noticed a nice increase in throttle response with the reeds and the air box lid removed. The 12T was the best bang for the buck in my opinion if you are trial ridding. Top speed is about 72-73 plenty fast for most.

My bike runs much better than it did with only the few modification I have mentioned above. It ran fine stock but it just seemed to run out of steam prematurely even after jetting. Now I couldn’t be happier with how it runs with just the few things I have done

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
thanks i know getting the reeds will make it run even richer than stock so what should i go to for the main/pilot and should i leave the needle stock? thanks for your help
chris

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
04kdxchris said:
thanks i know getting the reeds will make it run even richer than stock so what should i go to for the main/pilot and should i leave the needle stock? thanks for your help
chris

My jetting is for really high elevation, but all I had to do was move my needle clip up one notch for the reeds.

Hope that helps

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: '...what should i go to for the main/pilot and should i leave the needle stock?'

Have you read thru the jetting information on CDave's site?

I'd guess not. You will find an answer to your question there.

His site is linked in the 'Every kdx rider should read...' thread stickied to the top of this forum.

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
i ordered the reeds today and got a 12 tooth and a 155 main. im gonna wait to put the 155 in until i get the reeds. the 12 tooth is nice. the top speed didnt really drop off that i can tell because i dont have anywhere to open it up. is it supposed to leak tranny oil out of the seal behind the sprocket? once i put the sprocket on it stopped but i was just wonderin well the warrenty is still in effect. i cant wait to pick up the reeds should be nice. this winter im gonna send my forks out to be sprung and valved for my weight/riding and ill get a pipe and ill have a real nice(well nicer)bike.
chris

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Chris, man, you absolutely GOTTA read the link canyncarvr provided you on the jetting. He knows what he is talking about! I have an '03 200 and it ran ULTRA RICH with factory jetting. I'm closer now to being 'there', but I still have more work to do in the jetting dept.

Don't even think about asking "What jetting should I use?" because people will eat you up here...you need to read that link and do some homework. I'm not meaning to slam you here, just advising you to the situation.

I will be shocked if your single 155 main jet will get you 'there'. You should plan on getting at least two more mains and two more pilot jets, all leaner than stock mind you (stock should be 160 main and 48 pilot, smaller numbers are leaner). And don't go to your local Kaw dealer for them either because their parts are too expensive; try an online dealer like Sudco Racing (www.sudco.com). Their jets are very reasonable.

After you buy your jets, go ahead and buy a service manual cause you're gonna need it. And changing the fork springs is a simple task you can do yourself in a couple of hours (well, that is how long it took me to do it for the first time).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom