Refinshing and Painting old Plastic ??

pdq

Apr 2, 2002
Just thought I would throw this question out to the group.
I have an old 85 200 that I have been restoring. The last finishing
touch would be to renew the plastic. Is it even possible to have long
lasting results??? Would the tank need any hightech primer??
paint?? or treatment?? thanks for any comments or info....

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I sanded the plastic on my '88. I can't remember the exact grit I used, but I think I started off with a 200'ish grit, then 400-500, then some really super fine stuff. Turned out pretty nice, and I use this stuff called "plastic renew" that I picked up at my local bike shop from time to time. It's OK stuff, not great by any means, but it only cost like $5 so it's worth it IMO.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Do a search (by names it still works...or did last time I used it) for <wibby> on this forum. He posted something not too long ago regarding something new from krylon called 'fusion' or some such. It's a paint that's meant for plastics as I understand it........

Well...if he didn't post it, he responded to it. It was within the last week or so.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have used standard krylon flat black and plasti-cote brand gloss black to cover the green logo area on my factory effex seat cover. The cover bends and never cracks off. Also I used that gloss black to edge my white side panels with good results. It stays glossy and of course does get scratched, thus bringing it back to bare white plastic. But after riding for over a year with paint on the sidepanels the majority of the scratches are from me reattaching the seat and scraping it with the metal tabs of the seat.
If you want to keep it pristine you will just have to retouch it with a fresh spray.

breadman30

Apr 16, 2003
dude I have the perfect do it your self tip for you ... you will thank me later!
put mop and glow on the plastic.. the wax in it will fill in the scratchs and make the old dingy looking plastic shine like a new penny .... i always do this to a bike or quad when its brand new ..... the covering of wax keeps it from being scratched buy limbs and branches... it scratches the wax not the plastic
and once it is srcatched it fills it in ...... I can`t beleve how good it works
and it s cheap ... a couple of bucks at the local grocery store....
anyway hope this helps..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom