dog2

Sep 26, 2002
I am considering buying an '03 or '04 RM85 for my son to move up from his KX65. We primarily do off-road racing like the WORCS series. I was wondering what type of reliability issues people are having with these bikes? Are they reliable? What problems have you seen?

I have read about weak clutches, and frames breaking, and am a little concerned it will be constantly breaking down.

Comments?

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
Moved my son from a KX65 to an '03 RM85 in Jan 03. No problems whatsoever, He trail rides it, has raced a few MXs and rides weekly on our home track. We are very happy with it.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Ours have been good, except when third gear disintegrated on the ' 02.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
One of my son's racing buddies has had a 94,00 and an 02 all were solid bikes, his little brother is still racing the 02. Went through quite a few clutches but I think that is more a product of the rider than anything else. both the 94 and 00 had to have the water pump impeller and seals replaced and this seems to be a weakness but is an easy fix.

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
Thanks for the responses. They were very helpful. I bought a clean, used, 2004 RM85 for my son today. I am very impressed with the broad power on the bike. Ergonomics and shifting seem great too.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
We have an '02 & '03 RM and have had no problems with either. Clutches have been no problem. We get a full season out of a set of clutch disc. No problems with transmissions or top ends. Did break the frame on one of them. More due to rider casing landings trying to conquer pro section on mx track.

Only weak link is the stock water pump shaft. The plastic propeller will fall off of the shaft. Simply change to a Boyensen unit and your set to go.

Top Bottom