remove forkoil to "soften" compression?

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
I had my forks revalved and resprung recently. They are exellent the way they arrived set at 14 out of 16 clicks compression. (rebound is 10/18). I do mostly trail riding. My Question is this: I want to try to soften the compression a little to see if it would be even better, but i can only move 2 clicks which is'nt enuff to tell. I wish it would have been set closer to the middle range of clicks.

If I take out 10 or 20cc oil from each leg will it "soften" compression? Why/how? And by removing oil am I giving up anything that clicker adjustments can't correct? Am I "robbing peter to pay paul"? Why? Hope I explained it clear. Oil level is set at 100mm now.

------------------
'01 DRZe400

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
Remember that oil height affects only the last bit of travel, primarily controlling bottoming resistance. A lower fork oil level is not what you are looking for. Perhaps a different viscosity oil will give you a better usable adjustment range.

------------------

[This message has been edited by johnf3 (edited 04-17-2001).]

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Ballistic,
I'd consider what you where told to be correct however you might want to go ahead and try it.. It might let the fork slighlty less effciently and hence acomplish what you want. However only very slightly.. If your as happy with the performance then either call your tuner and let them know so when they service it they can make a small reduction in compression, or just wait till its time and let them know.

You mention doing the forks, was the shock changed? I don't know all the info however if the shock was not changed the proper amount, the weight bais might not be right and hence the forks seem stiff.. Just some thoughts.

Best Regards,
Jer

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Yup, shock is done also and its bang on exellent... the clickers in the middle so i can move 'em lots either direction.

------------------
'01 DRZe400

Top Bottom