Removing A Restricter In Expansion Chamber

Hart89

Sep 30, 2005
This morning i was feeling a little destructive/curious so i took a grinder to my old TS185 expansion chamber that was already destroyed. To my surprise i found that there was enough gores lining and baffling to wrap around the planet, stuck to the inside walls of the chamber, and a plate 3/4 of the way along the pipe with a hole 3.5 centimeters in it restricting about 3/4 of the flow with even more baffle about 15 centimeters worth protruding. Oh and enough carbon and soot to make santa cry :laugh: So yeh i was thinking bout cutting the pipe and tearing out the restrictor contraption but leaving the lining in because its more work and probably make it crazily loud?? Is this some sort of lame attempt by suzuki to make a double chamber or something or is it simply a restrictor? If i do remove it is it going to be a guaranteed improvement to mid to high power but with out it being so pipey its :coocoo: ? Some jetting changes required? Thanks for any help advise you can give me.

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
I don't have any experience with that bike, but there are similar things used on some mopeds to keep noise and power down. They do that very efficiently, making most kinds of tuning worthless unless the exhaust is replaced first... I can't tell you what to do with your exhaust or what the result from gutting will be, but all that junk put inside a expansion chamber would hardly make it work any better. The chamber is supposed to work by reflecting pressurewaves back and forth, plates and tubes inside it will not do it any good... ;)

Hart89

Sep 30, 2005
Yeh i got impatient waiting for a reply and guessed it couldnt hurt so ive already chopped it in 2. :ahhh: I was working out the dimensions for making a new pipe for it and getting a mate to fabricate it in his metal work class but ill see how much of an improvement gutting it will do. The only thing im a bit scared about is making the bike too bandy. Ill give ya a ride report.

Top Bottom