ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
The kid who owned the bike before me painted it a Ford blue. I asked him about it, and he told me it was an enamle paint. What would be the best way to go about removing all the paint from the plastic and tank?? My dad says it may be possibly to flex it off for everything besides the tank, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
personally i'd throw them up on e-bay and buy new ones either off e-bay or elsewhere..sounds like a lot of work, and plastics aren't all that expensive. i see screwed up fenders and stuff on there all the time going for more money than you'd expect them too

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Try a chemical paint stripper from an auto parts store or Wally World. I have used aircraft stripper on plastic in the past, but it is a real aggressive. Try it on the underside first so if it damages the parts, it is less noticable.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
That will work, but a plastic scraper that won't bite into the fender and tank might work better. Paint stripper would work, but it might damage the finish of the plastic. If you can get an edge started, a pressure washer might strip it off in a hurry.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Well, the plastics are normally white. There are all ready plenty of edges started, since the plastics are chipping everywhere. I suppose I could auction them off, but I'd still need to get the paint off the tank, unless I had planned on replacing that as well (a larger tank would be pretty nice). I priced them on Dennis Kirk for like $154 without tank.

The thing I'm worried about is chemicals damaging the tank's plastic. I'll check into a paint stripper.

Thanks guys!! Any more suggestions are more than welcome.

Jan 10, 2006
I would get the paint off the best I could with the chemical or elbow grease but also keep in mind that most of the plastics can be covered with a good graphics kit so do not worry too much about scrapes/dulling of the plastic.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
i would also agree to try a pressure washer on the 0 deg setting so its just a thin stream hitting it..might work..but since its white you have more options than if the paint was a diff color.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If it is chipping, is has probably not adhered to the plastic very well, and therefore should come off pretty easily. Perhaps you could let the stripper loosen the paint, and a garden hose with a little pressure to blast it off.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I have used a paint stripper from Wallyworld before with good luck. It comes in an aerosol can and is in the auto section. I think the can says something about removing paint from todays cars plastic bumpers. You spray it on, let it sit for 10 minutes, then wipe it off. Has worked great for me!

Mark

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Do not use hard ware store stuff use stuff for auto plastic , hard ware store stuff will more than likely soak in and ruin the plastic.
Lok

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Ok. I'll be sure to check out some auto plastic stuff, and I think next week I could have access to a pressure washer, which is good, because the bike needs to be cleaned anyways. Thanks for the advice.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have decided to remove the Krylon Fusion from my son's old bike. Today I tested an aircraft stripper on the shroud, I doused the underside, let it stand while I did a bit out routine maint., the took it out back and hosed it off with a good stream. About 95% of the paint fell right off and the plastic seems fine. I bought the stripper from an auto parts store a few months ago. If you try this, it is your responsibility, and the stuff burns a little if it gets on your skin.

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
awesome, I'm going to try the paint stripper. I just bought a XR200 and the dummy painted the plastics black and looks like he tried sanding it back to red.

I will post results

Top Bottom