renthal grip glue=two man job

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
put some on your bar and then slide your grip on! sounds really easy. I got about half way and it wouldnt budge! yanked it off and put some gas in and slid it back on, way easier! but i guess it eats your grip tho, anyone got a better way?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Haha. Renthal grip glue is easy. Try 1 second contact cement. BigLou recommended this to me. I got it a quarter of an inch on when it wouldn't move any more. Ran into the house, grabbed my dad, and we could just barely get it on. Then the safety wire just cuts up my hands. I'm not really good with grips ;)

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I've always used Renthal grip glue and don't really have any probs getting grips on and have never really had them slip on me. I just put the glue on the bars (evenly and all around) and a little on the opening of the grip to get started and push/twist on. Let them sit overnight before riding and voila, stuck grips.

Just b/c I said that next time I'll ruin new grips!!!!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I use two sided tape and lighter fluid. This is how golf grips have been done forever. It is easy and when it dries it stays put. The tape I am talking about looks like regular masking tape and is available at any discount golf shop. Take off the old grip, clean the bar and wrap the new tape on. Now peel the outside off and pour lighter fluid (You can get it at Wal-Mart for about a buck-Ronsonol) on the tape and give a quick shot into the grip and swirl it around and the grip goes on easy as pie! I haven't tried this with Renthals soft compound yet but have had no problems with Renthals medium and Pro Grip which is what I am running now. I safety wire for backup, but truthfully have never had a grip slip. Its just a cheap way to look like the pros and maybe make someone think that I know what I am doing! :thumb:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have always read that you HAVE to use renthal grip glue with their grips, I have NEVER used their glue and never had a grip come loose. I use a quick spray of hairspray inside the grip then slide it on and position it until it dries. Then the usual safety wire for precaution.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
I think the dual layer grips are the best grips available. The last pair i put on, i found the grip glue created a pocket of air innside the grip at the throttle tube. To sort the problem, i drilled a small hole in the end of the tube to let the air away.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm with ya on the 2-sided, D. Mineral spirits will not tack as quick.
Saftey-wire also and it will never go. Too easy for unwrapped bar to let the wire slide, glue or no.

yzJoKeR

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
I take a blower off my compressor and blow air into the grip as I slide it up. this makes it very easy to put grips on. :aj:
JokeR

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I've had excellent results using electrical tape and carb cleaner. I guess that the carb cleaner disolves the outer layer of electrical tape and exposes the adhesive. I used it on the jet ski and havent slipped a grip yet. I'm real impressed with the results.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
yeah i heard of contact cleaner, but my step dad golfs and he does what DWRECK said, works good!

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
One word: Hairspray.. Takes 1-2 days to dry, but slips on easy as anything, and sticks like crazy when dry..

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
I use contact cleaner, it takes a bit of muscle to get it on, but its rock solid one it dries (about 15 minutes).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…