KDXZilla

Aug 6, 2003
First off I'd just like to say hi! I picked up a 2002 KDX220 about 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier...my first dirt bike and I love it.

I found,by accident, some great stuff to use as grip glue. I wanted to ride today and didn't have any real grip glue so I used Permatex high tack spray-a-gasket sealant. The grips slide on easy and stayed put all day even with my death grip on the bars. And it didn't eat the Renthal soft grips either.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Good luck replacing your grips!

Next time, look into safety wiring them instead. No glue, no move, no muss, no fuss...

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Oh yeah, safety wire is good :silly: especially when it is not put on correctly, on a buddy's bike and you go riding on it, or more like I go riding it! Safety wire SUCKS IMO. Nothing safe about it, sliced up my hands really good!

I use 3M weather stripping adhesive

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If you put straight gas in a 2-stroke, went WFO down the trail until it seized, would then dirt bikes suck?

:silly:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
IMO it SUCKS I have no use for it. I still have scars on my right hand where it sliced me up!

Weather stripping adhesive or grip glue works great (IMO) and I have yet to have a grip loosen up and come time to replace, it peels off without a problem. The last time I replaced my Scott MX grips (which btw SUCK!) the glue completely came off with the grip. I now use Oury grips (which btw IMO don't suck) ;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
After safety wiring my grips using correct technique, it would just plain suck to do it any other way.

Glad it works for you though! :thumb:

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Wrap the bars with two layers of friction tape in a cross hatch pattern. Slosh a little gas in the grip pour it out and slide it on. Remove with WD-40. They will not come loose. I've done it this way for 35 years.

Top Bottom